Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Master Cylinder Rebuild vs. New?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
74914LE
Brake Master Cylinder Rebuild vs. New?
I have two 19mm Master Cylinders that were pulled off
cars several years ago and had all the holes closed off
for storage. It is time to get them out again, and I do
not want to take any chances, so is it worth the effort
to rebuild them with the kits that are available, or should
I just buy a new one? I do not want to take a chance
with the brakes failing. Anyone have any experiece with
this topic?
Thanks,

74914LE
Cap'n Krusty
Never! Buy a new one! The Cap'n
smg914
You asked, so I will give you my opinion. Master cylinders can be rebuilt effectively but must be done very carefully and correctly. Using emory cloth to hone/clean the cylinder, clean and rinse with alcohol, very carefully replace the seals taking the time to make sure you install them in the correct position.

Having said all that, In my opinion you are much better off spending approximately 100 bucks and get a new one. Remember, these used master cylinders are 30 years old now. I see them all the time for around 100 dollars. Subtract the cost of a new seal kit, emory cloth, alcohol and the time to do the work, for an extra 50 bucks or so you can get a brand new one. You may still want to keep your old master cylinders, who knows maybe 20 years from now you won't be able to find new ones.
IronHillRestorations
Rebuild kits are at least $50 right? Maybe more, haven't got one in some time. What is your time worth, what sort of condition is the one you are rebuilding? For a little over twice the price of a rebuild kit, I'd just pop for a brand new one. It's easy for me to spend your money though. All that said, I have rebuilt two 19mm m/c with no issues. I wouldn't do it for a customer in my shop though, the risk vrs reward, and cost effectiveness isn't there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.