Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - subdomains
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
I've added a subdomain to my webpage, but when I go to the subdomain address I get the same (index.html) as the root domain. How do I set it up so that the sub has it's own index.html file?
Jeroen
Not sure, but maybe you can point it to the right place through the .htaccess file?
seanery
this is what that file says:

Satisfy any
Order Deny,Allow
Allow from 172.17.0.0/16
Allow from 212.227.35.64/27
Allow from 212.227.34.190
Deny from all
RemoveType .html .gif
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Access for /logs"
AuthUserFile /kunden/homepages/5/d109825187/htpasswd
require user u36941348
914forme
What Server Paltform are we on here? I may be able to help you here. But I need this little bite first.
SirAndy
fastest way? use a second static IP for the subdomain ...

wink.gif Andy

PS: of course, if you're not as spoiled as i am (got 32 IPs), you need to dig deeper into your config files ...
seanery
this is a unix or linux system...can't remember
Pnambic
My host just has a dashboard where I tell it I want a sub and name it. When I check out the directory listing, I find a new folder with the complete subdomain web site name (ie. secure.moronthrottle.com) right next to moronthrottle.com.

I don't know if or where changes are made to config files.
seanery
well, hmm....
the sub is sherry.moronthrottle.com and the main is...duh, moronthrottle.com

here's a screen shot of the ftp
I created the Sherry folder - it was part of the old website. I had a page set up for her at moronthrottle.com/sherry
seanery
Oh, I think I found it...

there was a pulldown menu that asked if I wanted it to redirect to a domain or go to a home directory and then I can choose the home directory.

I pointed it to the sherry folder.

Hopefully in three hours or less it will work (according to their info it may take 3 hours to propogate the info)

:fingerscrossed:
Pnambic
I love WS_FTP, hahaha

By the way, sherry.moronthrottle.com is up and working already.
seanery
it's working, but it's pointing to the main page's index.html

WSFTP is the best in my humble opinion.
I've tried some of the others, even used windows explorere and haven't been happy with any of them.
kafermeister
I've been using Filezilla since last year when a co-worker turned me onto it.

Sean, glad you got it figured out. I would have thought there would be something in the name-based hosting portion of the Apache .conf file.

Oh well, Sounds like you got it working.

Rick
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.