Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: D-jet Fuel Pump question connection
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jsayre914
my plastic connector on the D-jet fuel pump is ng

Wich terminal is hot and ground when looking at my picture. I did a search and cannot find a pic. Is my picture correct or backwards???
SLITS
It's marked ... marked on the front of the barrel electrical connector.

Your diagram is bassakwards .....
JeffBowlsby
Factory Manual sez....BUT ITS WRONG!!!!
sad.gif
jsayre914
Thanks, got it.

beerchug.gif beer3.gif
SLITS
Well Jeff & all .... I just looked at 3 pumps and the connections are opposite what the manual says.

I may be old, but I ain't stupid

Image of the front of the barrel connector; they are clearly marked opposite.

IPB Image

And no BS about this not being a 914 pump (it's a Volvo) but the other two I looked at were 914 pumps ... I'll even post the Bosch OE if necessary.

Now, with the connector turned down and you're laying under the car looking up ... I'll buy your connection diagram.
poorsche914
agree.gif with SLITS.

I just replaced my old fuel pump so went out and checked. It is marked as shown in the SLITS' photo.

driving.gif
914_teener
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Apr 12 2012, 03:30 PM) *

agree.gif with SLITS.

I just replaced my old fuel pump so went out and checked. It is marked as shown in the SLITS' photo.

driving.gif

agree.gif

I am with Ron....the Pawn Star.

This is not out of a Vulva. Came from my stock 73. Maybe that is a Euro manual Mr. Bowlsby?

Click to view attachment

JeffBowlsby
Good catch on the factory manual goof...its wrong...post changed above to inform those who find this thread later...

smile.gif
Dave_Darling
I was never clear if the picture showed the plug on the wires, or the connector on the pump...

--DD
SLITS
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 12 2012, 09:45 PM) *

Good catch on the factory manual goof...its wrong...post changed above to inform those who find this thread later...

smile.gif

Not so much wrong as no explanation as to the orientation of the pump and where you are looking from.

Barrel turned down in mounting position and you laying on your back looking up, the diagram would be correct. The Tech Writers fail to mention this though.
jsayre914
looking closer at the tech picture, i noticed it is mounted on the side of the car rather than the firewall. Is that correct? or did different years mount the pump in diff locations?. Mine is mounted low on the firewall with the hoses facing out tward the passenger side, the pic above shows it parallel with the heater tube

WTF.gif
SLITS
Original mount was to the inner wheelhouse, below engine shelf on body on passenger side (as in the image). There were two rubber isolation mounts it was attached to.

It really doesn't make any difference though.
JeffBowlsby
More or less a stock FP install here:
JawjaPorsche
Thank you Jeff for such an awesome picture of the fuel pump configuration. WTF was the designer thinking? No wonder there was many fires there. Almost impossible to replace the hoses unless you had experience building a ship in a bottle. Plastic fuel lines! Not to mention how close the pump is to the heat tunnel. I am sure the extreme heat there sent many pumps and hoses to a early grave. My first one failed after two years. This is a picture is with engine out too!

I moved my pump 20 years ago and I can replace hoses easier plus monitor potential problems before it becomes a real problem!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.