Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how to remove tar from relay board?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rwilner
I did a search and found a few threads, but I'm having kind of a hard time getting all the tar off the underside of the relay board to a clean surface.

I was able to chip a lot out. Then I tried a heat gun which really just turned it into goo -- didn't make it easier to remove. Then i soaked it in mineral spirits, which kind of gummed it up...I was hoping it would dissolve it.

How can I get the underside pristine? Other chemicals (isopropyl alcohol)? Some kind of media blast?
r_towle
dry ice, gloves, chisel
rwilner
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 12 2012, 02:59 PM) *

chisel

I'm hoping there's a chemical alternative to avoid mechanical damage to the board and traces.
JeffBowlsby
Submerge the whole board in Acetone for a week, then scrape off what you can, then soak again for another week. Scrape. Repeat
rwilner
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 12 2012, 03:25 PM) *

Submerge the whole board in Acetone for a week, then scrape off what you can, then soak again for another week. Scrape. Repeat

barf.gif

ok biggrin.gif
JeffBowlsby
It werks. smile.gif
dlee6204
I stick my boards in the freezer overnight before I start scraping. It makes it a lot easier to remove.
Midman914
Try Xylene, we use it at work to clean our tar based flashing and mastic. Just to be clear, I have not tried this on a relay board, so I am not sure how well it will work, but it is worth a try. I've also found that diesel fuel really eats tar. Most options are going to be messy though. Tar is nasty stuff. Hope this helps.
ClayPerrine
I just did this the other day.

Heat gun to soften the tar, then a wide bladed putty knife to scrape it off. Do an inch wide segment at a time, and once you get the bulk off, then use a fine putty knife and heat to clean up the rest.

Valy
QUOTE(rwilner @ Apr 12 2012, 11:44 AM) *

I did a search and found a few threads, but I'm having kind of a hard time getting all the tar off the underside of the relay board to a clean surface.

I was able to chip a lot out. Then I tried a heat gun which really just turned it into goo -- didn't make it easier to remove. Then i soaked it in mineral spirits, which kind of gummed it up...I was hoping it would dissolve it.

How can I get the underside pristine? Other chemicals (isopropyl alcohol)? Some kind of media blast?

Rich, if you can melt the tar with the heat gun, you already resealed it.
I know you're trying to get it of and I assume you want to recover the board. But if you can just reseal it then I think you're done confused24.gif
rwilner
QUOTE(Valy @ Apr 13 2012, 02:14 PM) *

I know you're trying to get it of and I assume you want to recover the board. But if you can just reseal it then I think you're done confused24.gif

I'm trying to remove it so I can solder the rivets and fix a couple of non conducting traces.
underthetire
Goof off seemed to take it off. I heated mine up and got the big stuff out, then rinsed and soaked in goof off. Still a mess, no matter what.
Valy
QUOTE(rwilner @ Apr 13 2012, 11:16 AM) *

QUOTE(Valy @ Apr 13 2012, 02:14 PM) *

I'm trying to remove it so I can solder the rivets and fix a couple of non conducting traces.

Hugh blink.gif
I didn't know those boards can get so bad. I just thrown away a spare board I had that had all the tar fallen off but the copper traces were fine. The traces are quite thick so brakes in them means they are really gone.
I think I have another nice board somewhere. I'm not sure if there are differences between early/late/djet/ljet and not sure which one I have anyway. PM me if you need it and I'll try to dig it up.
02loftsmoor
Berrymans B12 really loosened the tar up, still a mess but the tar is almost a liquid.
I bought a board just to experement seem to work for me Wes
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.