Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headers 1.7 VS 2.0!?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
den_914
Hi There,

I want to know the difference about the headers of a 1.7L engine vs a 2.0l. I have a 2.0l in my 914 and my old headers of my old 1.7 engine and I notice a overheat and I think its due to the headers of the 1.7l. Do I have right?

Thanks!

PS: I'm new in the forum! driving.gif
gothspeed
welcome.png ............ there are a number of things that will cause overheating.

Did you recently install the 1.7 exhaust manifolds?

Have you checked the cooling fan for blockage?

Is your 914 Fuel Injected or Carbureted?

idea.gif
den_914
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Apr 12 2012, 03:03 PM) *

welcome.png ............ there are a number of things that will cause overheating.

Did you recently install the 1.7 exhaust manifolds?

Have you checked the cooling fan for blockage?

Is your 914 Fuel Injected or Carbureted?

idea.gif

I am with carburator 34 ICT Weber, I have no blocked fan cooling and I have a 2.0l muffler Dansk. Thanks! sunglasses.gif
gothspeed
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 12 2012, 09:16 AM) *

I painted my trans. black to help keep it cool. Black dissipates heat. Isn't that why radiators are painted black? Many aircooled motorcycle engines are painted or otherwise made black. Why would powder coationg keep the heat in rather than transfer it out to the cooling air? confused24.gif

Did the overheating happen all of a sudden?

was it running fine before?

When was the last valve adjustment and tune-up (timing set, float level checked)?

is the idle steady?

Also check to make sure your vacuum advance is working and not stuck.
den_914
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Apr 12 2012, 04:15 PM) *

I painted my trans. black to help keep it cool. Black dissipates heat. Isn't that why radiators are painted black? Many aircooled motorcycle engines are painted or otherwise made black. Why would powder coationg keep the heat in rather than transfer it out to the cooling air? confused24.gif

When was the last valve adjustment and tune-up (timing set, float level checked)?

is the idle steady?

On the idle the temperature drop at normal. It overheat when I up a hill and when I drove at 65-70 mp/h. I can't adjust the carburator because a have a distributor 009. sad.gif

Sorry if I don't speak well I speak french normaly tongue.gif
gothspeed
What gauge or indicator are you using to determine the temperature of the engine?
Rand
I wouldn't suspect the exhaust first.
All cooling tin and seals in place?
Exit at impeller housing connected to heat exchangers or plugged?
Verify/adjust valves, dwell, timing?
How do the plugs look? (Light gray / lean, or dark?)
02loftsmoor
painting some thing is like adding insulation, the heat has to get though the coating of paint, bare metal is the best. as far as painting radiators black, Cheap paint, and air cooled Motorcycles are usualy anodized back and your english is better than mine.

beerchug.gif

QUOTE(den_914 @ Apr 12 2012, 04:22 PM) *

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Apr 12 2012, 04:15 PM) *

is the idle steady?

On the idle the temperature drop at normal. It overheat when I up a hill and when I drove at 65-70 mp/h. I can't adjust the carburator because a have a distributor 009. sad.gif

Sorry if I don't speak well I speak french normaly tongue.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.