Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Prep for POR15
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
Quick Question:

Does POR 15 require marine clean and metal ready as prep before laying down POR 15?

What are your successful prep practices?
jsayre914
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 12 2012, 05:47 PM) *

Quick Question:

Does POR 15 require marine clean and metal ready as prep before laying down POR 15?

It says to do it on the can, so I did it.

It is rock solid still, I love it
shoguneagle
Always follow directions and you should not ever go wrong. Do it with Por-15 and it will work well for you. Used it on the underside and inside the longs, etc where I could get it in. Yes, I did follow the directions exactly. Over five years ago and do not have any rust that I can see; also, it is never driven or stored outside where moisture can develop; i.e. rust.
matthepcat
After removing everything down to the metal I used:

Purple power degreaser from Auto Zone

Picklex metal prep (this stuff is legit)

http://www.autobodystore.com/coatings.shtml

IPB Image

I opted for Rustolium oil based primer & then Rustolium oil based paint.

Matt

jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 12 2012, 02:47 PM) *

Quick Question:

LAst summer, I helped a neighbor do the full Por 15 process prior to painting. I think the marine clean and metal ready are necessary. The paint, we rolled Rustoleum, has held up good and no signs of rust returning---and this car is parked outside at the beach... smile.gif
913B
What about the acid wash with the chain for agitation, necessary if you the tank is not so rusty ?
porschefile2010
The Marine Ckean and metal ready do such a great job I don't know why you would use anything else especially as it is recommended by the POR15 guys. Just be careful how you handle the stuff. Use it in a well ventilated area and wear rubber gloves and overalls. Good luck
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.