Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parking brake adjustment questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
patssle
So my car can't pass an inspection because the parking brake doesn't hold at idle. Ugh. But the pedal brake works just fine (fantastic actually, can lock them up). I adjusted the pads today - tomorrow I plan on trying again with the cables.

At the firewall for the parking brake cables, pushing the cable screw into the firewall holes make the parking brakes tighter or looser?

Silly question, but I've spent way too much time with this and it's getting aggravating - want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Thanks.
Drums66
QUOTE(patssle @ Apr 13 2012, 09:46 PM) *

So my car can't pass an inspection because the parking brake doesn't hold at idle. Ugh. But the pedal brake works just fine (fantastic actually, can lock them up). I adjusted the pads today - tomorrow I plan on trying again with the cables.

At the firewall for the parking brake cables, pushing the cable screw into the firewall holes make the parking brakes tighter or looser?

Silly question, but I've spent way too much time with this and it's getting aggravating - want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Thanks.

.....I would say adjusting the cable...which you've done? idea.gif
shades.gif bye1.gif(venting clearance also ties in?)
pilothyer
To tighten the cables you need to loosen the nuts and turn them in (toward the firewall) you should also verify that the equalizer remains in balance with the pull of the brake handle.
underthetire
You may need to end up replacing/lube the cables as well. The rear ones go bad, requiring too much force on the hand brake. I used a dry lube for motorcycle cables on mine, it helped by about 20%.
Drums66
.....Lube is a fine addendum to the job? idea.gif
shades.gif bye1.gif
patssle
Got it, thanks guys! I did turn the nuts in a little towards the firewall - was just what it needed after adjusting the pads. Guy didn't even test the brakes, he pulled the handle and said "Yeah, it's tight enough, I know they work".

Whatever. Finally got to drive after a couple months of being too busy and out of town.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.