Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: my speedometer stopped working
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nsr-jamie
Had some nice weather here this weekend in Japan and was out cruising in the 914. Coming back on the hi-way and noticed my speedometer stopped working, just fell to zero. Anyways on the hi-way here and can not stop keep crusing for a while to the exit to my friends shop, get off there and drop in at their shop...we look under the car and find this.

I am not sure of the name in English, but it is obviously destroyed and was dragging on the road for some time and caused it to just wear down...also where I believe it was connected to the gearbox...it looks like something has broken off there....

Its hard to get parts for these cars here in this part of the world (Japan)...can somebody help if they know what I need? Am I missing a bunch of small parts? I don't even know the name of the part or parts as well.

Good news is that the cable is fine amazingly...

If anyone can help would be great, thank you !!

I hope to get this fixed soon cause I just entered into a classic car show here in Japan next month (May27th)

TheCabinetmaker
Jamie, thats the angle drive. Available new. If the usual parts places can't ship it, I can and have access to new ones our used ones.
type47
Yea, and if you're looking for used, make sure you get a speedo angle drive with a part number that starts with 914.xxx.xxx.xx not 911.xxx .... they look the same but turn in opposite directions wacko.gif
nsr-jamie
Hello and thank you. I did some research on the web and checked out the AUTOMATION site and found the part you were talking about. The speedometer cable angle drive. It looks to be one part that somehow snapped in half. Am I right? Will I only need this part? The part that was grounded down (I am holding in my fingers, see pic above) and the part that appears to be broken off in the gear box are the same part?? If I find a good angle drive will I need any other parts to complete this job such as gaskets, nuts, bolts, o-rings or something? The speedo cable is fine and still working, the rubber boot looks good too...not really sure how this happened but I guess with a 40 year old car things like this happen.

Here is the pic from the Automotion site to confirm the part I am talking about....

If someone has a good used one (from a 914) please contact me.

IPB Image
jim_hoyland
Pelican Parts shows:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...29%2C%20Each%20
TheCabinetmaker
Yes, thats the part you need. The drive gear in the trans housing has the oring, so no seals needed for that part. 100 bucks at pelican and warranted for one year. I have a few working used ones, but no gaurantee on how long they will work. I would buy the new one if I could afford it.
JeffBowlsby
I have a good used angle drive I'd sell for $50.+shipping. LMK.
stugray
Those used to be the holy grail of pick-your-parts finds.

Glad to hear that you can buy new now.

Stu
TheCabinetmaker
I was mistaken. PET says there is a sealing ring between the angle drive and drive gear. part #914 318 261 01
underthetire
Me to. Same thing on a "good" used one. I bought brand new from auto parts wherehouse. Wasn't too expensive really.

It's the old dog dragging his leash.
Drums66
QUOTE(type47 @ Apr 14 2012, 07:40 AM) *

Yea, and if you're looking for used, make sure you get a speedo angle drive with a part number that starts with 914.xxx.xxx.xx not 911.xxx .... they look the same but turn in opposite directions wacko.gif

......Si-mone idea.gif
bye1.gif
Tom_T
Jaime,

If you want new, then the local Porsche dealer over there should be able to order it for you too, and the price shouldn't be any more than Pelican, AA, PP, etc. - since they all mark-up from dealer wholesale.

Japan dealer may just be easier with the import regs., if the others won't ship there.
nsr-jamie
Hi, thanks!! Do I need to get that part? If I were to reuse the old part am I asking for trouble..?

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Apr 15 2012, 02:32 AM) *

I was mistaken. PET says there is a sealing ring between the angle drive and drive gear. part #914 318 261 01

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.