Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas tank outlet nuts-
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PBC914
I am replacing the original fuel tank and fuel lines.
Question-is a seam sealer needed on the two threads on the bottom of the tank?

Thanks for the replies!
ww914
I didn't use any, but probably not a bad idea.
PBC914
Thanks for the response, on my old and new/old replacement tank it did not appear any sealer was used, but I am going to put some in there anyway.
pilothyer
If you use the right crush washers there would be no need to seal the threads on the union nuts. The copper crush washers go on between the tank fittings and the pipes. On the supply side first insert the strainer into the hole, then place the crush washer on the pipe, then insert pipe into the hole with the washer toward the tank then screw on the union nut.....same with the return side except no strainer.......Jerry
toolguy
The best thing to use to seal the outlets is lead washers. . I got a piece of sheet lead and punched out some washers. . You don't need to overtighten the nuts to get it to make a great positive seal. .
Mark Henry
Don't forget to replace the strainer, if it comes out without ripping it can be cleaned and reused, but they often self-destruct when you take it out.
PBC914
Thanks everyone-I ended up using a liquid seal product on the threads that can be used in gas applications.

Happy to say that 5 hours later, a new/old fuel tank is in, new lines, fuel filter and of course the correct fasteners. So much work, with so little physical evidence of my time, but I did repaint the tank, and vacuumed/scrubbed the whole area down.

So nice not to smell gas when coming out of a turn!

I would add a picture, but you can't see what I did!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.