Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with a purchase
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Larry
I saw a 73 2.0 liter without engine that the owner says has 40K miles and has spent it's life indoors. It looks good - battery tray, longs, suspension, floors, trunks all appear to be very solid. Interior is fair. Front hood and guages will be from a donor car. Door lines are very straight and open and close nicely. Paint is fair. I don't think anything beside the motor will be missing. I've been looking for a while and this seems to be one of the more solid cars I've seen in the East. Wheels, tires... all seem good.
I know how tough a task it is to put a value without pictures, but could you give me a range?
Thanks in advance.
Larry
aircooledboy
Out west, where clean tubs apparently grow on trees lol2.gif , $500.
On our side of the Mississippi, where a clean tub is roughly akin to a blue diammond, probably more like $1000+. sad.gif

my .02
seanery
do you already have a motor?
used 2.0 motors are $1k+ depending on age, etc...
how bad is the paint? can you live with it, or does it need it paint?

those two items can easily cost over $5 grand, or could be done on the cheap, too

Figure out your total to get it together and then back of the expenses and decide if it's worth the difference to you.
bob91403
agree.gif $500 for a roller, $1000 if it's as good as you've described. You said no motor, $1500 if it still has a tranny. That's about the going rate. Slap a motor in that puppy and go have fun.
ArtechnikA
Pipersville is only about a half hour from me - i'd be glad to have a look and give you a second opinion if you want. pay little attention to the West Coast guys, they have no idea how unusual rust-free cars are here. OTOH - you can get one of those rust-free cars here for less than $1000 so there are always alternatives...
Larry
Thanks for your replies. According to the owner, the tranny is also good. I'm sure he wants more than you folks suggested. I'm trying to decide what to offer. The car looks right.
Thanks again.
Larry
nebreitling
IM(very)HO, it's pretty much worth whatever you'll pay for it if you build a nice car from it. but lowball him anyway... you might get lucky.

in the long run, it probably won't matter much whether you pay, e.g., $800 or $1500 for your roller: you'll spend all your time and money on it regardless. your gf/wife will pretend to like it, but secretly resent you for spending so much time on it. you will make new friends. you will take corners at obscene speeds, you will laugh obscenely while you drive, and you will think you are far more attractive to the opposite sex than you really are.

beerchug.gif dew it. and welcome to the 914 asylum
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.