Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New CHT BUT Only 2K Cold :confused:
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bruce Allert
This CHT is an 003. I've read that the 012 is NLA. The original CHT in my '74 2.0 was an 012. (still got it)

The car was running great Sunday at AX. This morning I started it... kinda sluggish... then smelled gas. It was leaking from the attached fuel pressure gauge. I fixed it at noon but then the car wouldn't start but for a few chugs... won't run at all. I get gas but it acts like when you unplug the CHT... it'll try to start but won't.

Is 2K resistance enough when cold or is this CHT toast?
It's only 2 weeks old sad.gif
The only other thing I changed the day before AX was the rotor. It also has Pertronics. Does the Pertronics act like this when it goes out?

....b
dmenche914
As i recall, about 2 k seems right for a cold head temp sensor.

dave
Bleyseng
When the pertronix goes out you have no spark at all. I went thru 3 of them.
You can burn them out if you leave the key on.

Geoff
Bruce Allert
I was going to check sparky next.

Stomach was telling me it was time for dinner (like I can't miss one) cool.gif so I closed the door. Hope it's an easy fix like that :fingers crossed smiley:

.......b
Bruce Allert
Checked the spark at lunch & it was weak & irratic wink.gif so I changed the rev limiting rotor & Punkin started right up! clap56.gif

Sure glad it held out till I got home from AX on Sunday beer.gif

.....b
914werke
Bruce remember one of the CHT tricks is to wire up a POT in series with your CHT so you can adjust the resistance to match your FI setup.
Bruce Allert
Thanks Rich, is it a specific kind of POT or will any one from Radio Shack work?

I had it running just before lunch.

Had lunch... got in it to come back to work & no go! So I closed the door again & will see what's hap'nin.

OHHHHHH Wellllllllllll wacko.gif

914 lifes'a beotch smile.gif

..........b
pbanders
You might want to look at my web page for some suggestions on how to diagnose your problem. I don't recommend using CHT ballast resistance for any other purpose than adjusting the warm-up mixture, using modest amounts of resistance (e.g. 50 to 100 ohms).
Bruce Allert
Thanks Brad, I've gone there many times & am very glad you took the time to put such a site up. It was your site where I got the proper readings for the CHT. I'd just finished adjusting the valves, checking the timing & all the fine points before going to AX. It ran great. Then, all of a sudden, this. I'll dive into it tomorrow night.

..........b
scotty914
i replaced my cht ( 1.8 ) the car would start right up then run for 15 to 20 mins around town a little longer on the highway. then it would start cutting out... what i found was the cht was snug when cold but when it warmed up it lossened up and started making intermintant contact.

so check to make sure it in tight enough but make sure you use anti seize so you can get it out later and it helps with the electric connection
spank.gif
scott thacher
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.