Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how to post a photo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dmenche914
i have read the instructions on the FAQ key, and still cannot figure how to post a photo. Can someone please help, using minimal computer lingo.

The instructions tell to click on the IMG button, and I do and get a question box asking for a URL. Whats a URL, and what do i type in? My photos are on a CD disk, from a camera. I got the photos to display ok on my computer, and I can select them ok. How do I get past step one and select a URL?

second question is my photos i was told are 700 mb in size, the instructions say that is too big, (they came from a cheap camera, so i was surprised to find they are too big). How can i compress or make the data smaller on the photos to fit the requirement?

Any help is appreciated.

thanks dave
Mueller
dave....

click on the "choose" button for "file attachments", it'll open up a box to access your files on your computer

"IMG" is for linking an URL
McMark
You image might be 700 kb in size. Anyway, you don't want to click the IMG button unless the image is already on the internet. To upload a photo click the Choose File button at the bottom near the submit button. A window will appear showing your files on your computer. Find the image you want to attach. Then submit your post , don't preview or it will fail.
dmenche914
Well, didn't find a choose button, but did find and try the browse button, It allowed me to open my photos off my CD disk, and selete one of them, and the file name from the CD disk them appeared in the browse box, every thing so good so far, but after I send, it gives me an error that it cannot send this type of file???

so what to do?

thanks dave
dmenche914
Just figured on how to check the memory of the photo, it is 680 kilo Bits, 1600 x 1200 and 72 dpi, it is from a Fuji camera model Fine Pix A 205. It is a JPEG file.

So that's what I got, does this mean it will not be possible to send photos from this camera?

Can the resolution be reduced (every third pixel used or something) to reduce the memory?

Why is this camera so hard to use on the internet , are other cameras like this or am I stuck?

thanks dave
mercdev
QUOTE(dmenche914 @ Oct 5 2004, 01:29 AM)
Just figured on how to check the memory of the photo, it is 680 kilo Bits, 1600 x 1200 and 72 dpi, it is from a Fuji camera model Fine Pix A 205. It is a JPEG file.

So that's what I got, does this mean it will not be possible to send photos from this camera?

Can the resolution be reduced (every third pixel used or something) to reduce the memory?

Why is this camera so hard to use on the internet , are other cameras like this or am I stuck?

thanks dave

for posting here, and simplicity's sake, change the res of the pictures to 640 x 480 at 72dpi. that should get you close or under the max filesize accepted.
GWN7
I reduce the image size before posting....350-400 is just about right. I use Photoshop to store them and reduce.

The BBS (forum) will accept jpeg or gif types of files.

It's probably kicking them back because they are too big...
McMark
Try this program: Resize

Looks like you can set the Biggest Pixel setting to 640 and it'll convert a folder of images to 640 X 480 all at once. Then you can post the ones you want. The good news is once you have it figured out you can post images pretty easily.
markb
I still have real good luck with irfanview. Simple to use.
dmenche914
Got one photo to the adobe photo shop starter free edition, cannot figure how to reduce it, nor save it nor anything, i will need a step by step (ie click on the icon that says 'blank" located in upper left)

I tried right mouse on the photo, and got option to "fix" the photo, is this right? I hope not, cuase it said i do not have enough disk space.

What to do? what kinds of cameras do you all use to aviod all this conversion, I'd like to buy one, but after having to deal with the hell of loading the photos, inability to send them, I do not think it is worth it.

At anyrate how to proceed with shrinking the number of bits to make the photo postable.

thanks dave
seanery
if you're using photoshop do this:

open the file you want.

click on "Image" then "Image Size"
change the width of the pic to 640 or 700.
Make sure that constrain proportions is checked.
It will maintain the propert aspect ratio of the image.

then click "ok"

after that is done click "File" then "Save As"
a dialog box will open type in the name you would like to save it as
then click the down arrow on the line below name (Format) and select "JPG (*.jpg, *.jpeg *.jpe)"

click "ok" or "save" (can't remember exactly what it is)
then a dialog box will open and ask for a quality.
Set the slider to 9 and click "OK"

now the image should be small enough to post and still be good quality.

good luck.
McMark
Working with the images is like working on cars. The first time it's hard and confusing. Each time is easier. Photoshop is a bit overwhelming just to resize images. Get the program markb or I linked to above. It's just for minor image manipulation and mine will do a whole folder of images at once. If you want I'd be willing to run you through it when I drop off your hood (looks great, 100% better).
davidcalvin
Of course.. if you had a mac.. you could load them all into iPhoto, rotate and crop as you like then export them to fit whatever size you wanted. cool_shades.gif
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE(davidcalvin @ Oct 5 2004, 09:43 AM)
Of course.. if you had a mac.. you could load them all into iPhoto, rotate and crop as you like then export them to fit whatever size you wanted. cool_shades.gif

Ah, life is so much better with a Mac.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Rhodes71/914 @ Oct 5 2004, 11:21 AM)
Ah, life is so much better with a Mac.

that is true ...

if you don't expect anything from life!
laugh.gif Andy
davidcalvin
There's always the alternative.. winblows.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.