Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ot, but car related Shock
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
I need to replace a leaky front shock on my 2005 SL500. Damn these things are huge. No wonder the cars weigh so much. The MB threads say the system is based on their F1 engineering, but they must have figured out how to make them lighter for those cars.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I tried to bolt the new one in place, but needed both hands to lift it up.
banger
Actually the size is pretty typical, considering it is the shock and the "spring". The outer tube is the air bag for the air suspension. Not really any bigger than a shock with coil overs.
CrashDown
Gotta love when Dufus Diedermeier designs shit....
Katmanken
Yah,

Daimler Benz been using airbag suspensions for many years. Had a friend in FLA with a 62 cabriolet that had really rare airbag suspension. Car came with a set of factory supplied chocks that were used to hold the car up when parked for long periods of time. blink.gif
Rob-O
You have tiny fingers...
ape914
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Apr 15 2012, 07:49 PM) *

I need to replace a leaky front shock on my 2005 SL500. Damn these things are huge. No wonder the cars weigh so much. The MB threads say the system is based on their F1 engineering, but they must have figured out how to make them lighter for those cars.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I tried to bolt the new one in place, but needed both hands to lift it up.

That should be the middle finger right????? What a pain!!!!!
banger
You could probably get some money from Arnott industries for shipping your old shock to them, since they rebuild them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.