Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Project - but is it worth it ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vwsnaps
I have been in Vw Club here in Nebraska for a long time and i am a certified CAR WHORE.

I got a call this weekend about a 1974 914 that guy drove up from AZ to nebraska 5 years ago and has been sitting in a barn since...

he sent me these pics..

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

says it will start up and go still - but needs helio-coils? and has an intake leak? I then ask about fuel injection and he says it has a electronic fuel injection but it has a carb..

he is about 5 hours away... in email said it is targa top , has a fender to replace the bad one.... new tires ( 5 years ago )

115k miles

he wants $2000 ish - good starting point for a summer project - or should i run and run fast?
Mike Bellis
Maybe if there is no major rust. Get him down to $1000. At least you can part it out and make your money back if it's bad.
vwsnaps
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Apr 15 2012, 11:29 PM) *

Maybe if there is no major rust. Get him down to $1000. At least you can part it out and make your money back if it's bad.

ive been trying... he offered delivery of it as well to me - says it will fire up and drive... the value of 914's are just completely all over the place

i doubt i would keep it after the summer / fall - as i typically get rid of my summer toys so i dont have to store them...

i think $2000 is good since i can hop in and enjoy it with the top off....

dont want to get sucked in.. ive been looking for a fender as he mentioned he has a " partial " front fender - but no luck..

looking up 1974 914 on WIKI - seems like it has the 1.8 and fuel injection....

i have a watercooled vr6 motor sitting in my garage... smile.gif
pete000
2K seems high to me. It would have to be rust free and a strong runner at that price point IMHO.

Thestigz06
QUOTE(pete000 @ Apr 15 2012, 09:40 PM) *

2K seems high to me. It would have to be rust free and a strong runner at that price point IMHO.

agree.gif Just my $.02 but i would value this between $1000-1200
CrashDown
+1 for the fact that it has rear euro lenses....
benalishhero
The rot on the left rear pan sends red flags. Look behind the passenger seat, hellhole, and rear passenger long, and I bet you won't like what you find......
VaccaRabite
If you are going to sell in a few months, pass. You would need to fix the turn signal to get it safe to drive. The single carb is going to suck a lot of the driving fun out of it.

Pass.

Zach
jmill
Post the vin number and color code (on the inside of drivers door jam between hinges). It might be an LE Bumblebee. Doubt it but it's a possibility that would bring the value up.
brant
that looks like a patch panel welded to the floor (under the seat)
I would NOT buy that car without pulling the rocker covers and checking the longs
also you need to check the hell hole (essentially the frame rusts out)

you do know that its a unit body car and you can't put a new fender on without welding.... lots of grinding and drilling... and paint... ?

a front fender at a shop is probably a 2k job.

jwc914
Offer the guy $30,000. for it. tell him it must be stripped to bare metal and all rust repaired, repainted, rebuilt motor and trans, new interior, new brakes, tires and wheels and bumpers rechromed. also all new rubber seals. then it would be worth it as you asked. Lots of guys have spent much more than that and are still not finished.
TheCabinetmaker
That car has been used, abused, and majorly neglected. It will not be a fun summer driver. You'll be working on it more than driving it. And, depending on the amount and location of the rust ( yes it has rust), it may not even be safe to drive. The 40 year old plastic fuel lines, that I gaurantee have not been changed to stainless, will leak and put your life in danger. Run away, unless you need a parts car.
SirAndy
QUOTE(vwsnaps @ Apr 15 2012, 09:33 PM) *

i doubt i would keep it after the summer / fall - as i typically get rid of my summer toys so i dont have to store them...
i think $2000 is good since i can hop in and enjoy it with the top off....

I don't think so. The floorpan is patched (badly i might add) and i see hints of rust in several places.

I'd venture to guess this car is worse than it looks.
popcorn[1].gif
carr914
QUOTE(benalishhero @ Apr 16 2012, 06:32 AM) *

The rot on the left rear pan sends red flags. Look behind the passenger seat, hellhole, and rear passenger long, and I bet you won't like what you find......

agree.gif

I wouldn't buy it at a 1/4 of the price. I would bet that it was never been in a barn.
worn
I have two 914s and both have more rust than I would like. I am also finishing a restoration of a British car that took 5 years because I bought a car that needed about half the panels replaced. Duhhh. Everyone that says run away is right.

With that said, I want to make a pitch for preservation of the marque. They may be cheap, but there is not an endless supply of 914s out there. So restoring a 914 can be a virtuous deed. However, no good deed goes unpunished.
bcheney
I wouldn't buy it at a 1/4 of the price. I would bet that it was never been in a barn.

Totally agree with Carr914 and others on this. Cars that sit outside end up looking like this one...look at how the dash guage rings are rusty. This is too risky unless you really go the extra mile to inspect the underside and longs.
SUNAB914
500.00 PARTS CAR AT THE MOST.
jmill
Black 74 with no sail vinyl, color bumpers, rims and rockers changed out. For some reason my LE spider senses are tingling on this one. It's still a mess but might be worth something if it has the right vin#.
poorsche914
QUOTE(jmill @ Apr 16 2012, 09:09 PM) *
Black 74 with no sail vinyl, color bumpers, rims and rockers changed out. For some reason my LE spider senses are tingling on this one. It's still a mess but might be worth something if it has the right vin#.

Chrome targa trim and no fog light switch rules out a possible LE for me.

driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.