Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Distibutor woes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
1st symptom is car never seemed to run right. 2nd was tach started flipping out (very erratic needle. 3rd is funny sound from distributor (whining). 4th timing very difficult to set as the marks walked around (actually jumped around).

Pulled cap set dwell it jumped all over too on the meter. (crap) So I pulled the rotor again and wiggled the shaft slightly side to side but tons up and down.

Pulled distibutor and this is where it gets scary, I took the thing apart. shimmed up the slop cleaned up the grunge inside. Put it back together and the car runs biggrin.gif

Able to get the timing to settle down @ the 7degree mark. but damn thing still jumps all over when advancing to the 27 degree. Dwell is now rock solid 45 degrees.

Dumb question and didn't try it last night do I need to take off the vaccum lines to set 27 degrees BTDC.
SLITS
Yes - it is timned with the vac advance disabled.
Bruce Allert
agree.gif makes all the difference in the world!

My 1.7 had a sloppy dizzy & timing was jumpy. Installed Pertronics electronic ignition & it calmed down to very smooth. It was $62 at FLAPS.

......b
McMark
Also, make sure to drop a couple of drips (or more for an old one) of oil down the hole in the center shaft. That can make it smoother. You're supposed to put a drop on the felt pad in there each time you change the rotor (regular maintenance).
Joe Ricard
That fixed it. Timing is rock solid. Disconnecting the vaccum lines was just one of the problems. threw the timing light in the shit can. Got new one. Getting shocked when touching the engine kinda hurt.

No more funny noises idles nice and even and throttle response is crisp.
KenH
Crane XR700 will fix Hi RPM problems & is more reliable than the Pertronics.

Ken
Joe Ricard
I only rev it till the rotor cuts out. Now I have found that if I shift earlier I am well within the torque curve of the motor. and cut 2 seconds off my AX time. You can only go so fast in 2nd gear. Having the nuts to keep you foot planted in 3rd through 60 ft slalom. thats the hard part.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.