Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Expert Opinions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LvSteveH
Here’s the deal, I’ve come across a complete 3.0L engine and conversion package from a recently wrecked 914/6. It was nicely done with very clean weber carbs, and the engine is not damaged at all. In fact it was just put in a 911 to verify that all is ok, and it runs to redline very smoothly. Honestly money is a little tight, so I can only justify buying it if the price is literally too good to pass up. So here’s what is included:

Nice running 3.0L w/weber carbs
Fairly fresh 901 trans
Conversion flywheel to adapt 3.0L to 901 (trick setup that bolts to stock 3.0 flywheel)
Headers w/monza exhast

Is there anything else I’d need? What would be the market price of these pieces, and what would be the “too good to pass up, even if you have to eat ramen noodles for a while” price? Thanks for the help

driving.gif Steve

PS The oil tank was damaged, so I'd need to purchase that. Thanks
SirAndy
QUOTE(LvSteveH @ May 8 2003, 02:18 PM)
Headers w/monza exhast

don't know about the price, brad will fill that in,
but as i just learned recently, you should consider getting rid of the Monza exhaust.

it does not provide the needed flow (to restrictive) and will burn your exhaust vales over time ...

Andy
Brad Roberts
The monza for the 911 engines are different...

Oil tank
Oil lines (hard and soft lines)
Front engine mount
Throttle cable setup
Engine tin ??

Just some stuff off the top of my head.

B
LvSteveH
It comes with the front engine mount, and complete engine tin, he's asking $4000 for everything, which isn't bad, but is it too good to pass up? He claims the weber carbs were very expensive and near new.
Brad Roberts
4000$ is pretty good.

What kind of front mount ?? The bar type sucks.. to high heaven (It works..just barely)

The oil tanks new run over 500$

Thinking on it.. I'm in for 4000$

The carbs used run a grand for decent examples that dont need serious amounts of rebuilding.

If you dont buy.. contact me offline and I'll give you a 500$ finders fee and dinner for the contact info.

B
LvSteveH
biggrin.gif Ah, the plot thickens. I was leaning toward a V8 setup, but there is something to be said for being all porsche. Thanks for the offer Brad, that makes me feel better. Hmmm..... to pay off credit cards, or go really fast..... decisions decisions. wacko.gif
rick 918-S
You can always pay off the cards. The motor deal will be gone fast!
JRust
Ditto what Brad said! Hell I'd buy it no problem! Really piss of the wife but I'd do it no sweat! If it has everything for the conversion its a no brainer for me! Best of luck & if you can't give me a buz! Credit cards bad rolleyes.gif
Oh yeah thats probably how I'd pay for it mad.gif I mean they can be good if used wisely beer.gif
anthony
Sounds like a great deal. I'd snap it up with out hesitation. Since the motor is in a running car I'd get a compression check. A great deal can quickly turn into an expensive paper weight.
Lawrence
Steve,

What kind of carbs are on the engine? Weber 40s or 44s?

-Rusty
LvSteveH
With regard to the carbs, I'm not sure if they are 40's or 44's, my initial reaction is always to assume the worse case, so I'm going to guess 40's. I'll try to find out today. Of course the old adage applies, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. I like the idea of doing a compression test, that should be very telling. Is it critical to perform a leakdown test at the same time, and what is involved in doing one? I appreciate all the input, I should know more later today.

MDB2.gif Steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.