Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parking light short? Nope:
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Prospectfarms
Should all three terminals on the parking light assembly show ground, like mine do?

Made a new harness for the left front parking and side marker lights. Plugged it in and started blowing fuses (#5) when I pulled the light switch.

Is the p-light grounded through the body as well as the brown wire?
Prospectfarms
E flashers work so p light assembly must be OK. Crappy electrician messed up my car...whoops, that would be me!
Dave_Darling
The "power" terminals will ground through the light bulb. You'll see some resistance from the bulb element, but there will still be continuity to ground. (That's how they work, after all!)

Try removing the bulb. Still shorted to ground? You may have some of the wires on the wrong terminals.

--DD
Prospectfarms
Thank's Dave, you are generous to help with my "can't see the forest for the trees" query. I think of your kindness every time I order from Pelican. wub.gif

What tripped me up was the hot terminals had continuity to ground even with the ground wire removed. Obviously, the entire fixture is grounded to the chassis as well.

As you surmised, I'd plugged-in the harness incorrectly. The diagram I'd drawn was turned 90 degrees. Working late is dangerous.

With the terminals correctly connected everything works fine. At last, I have parking and side marker light on the driver side. I also made a new diagram for next time....
Cap'n Krusty
Those little raised numbers on the fixtures must be there for a reason, I just can't remember why ............................

The Cap'n
Prospectfarms
Next time I'll just ask you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.