Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: side shift leaking
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tat2dphreak
I noticed that my side shift tranny is leaking(very little, but more than it should) at the linkage connection, the little "ball" that hangs off the transmission to connect to the linkage... I wouldn't have noticed except I opened up the plastic cover and there was a little bit of gear oil in there...

any ideas?

common problem?

how to fix?

thanks
machina
There is a seal there (o-ring i think) and the shifter housing is held on with 2 nuts.

Maybe the seal is bad or the nuts are loose.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Oct 5 2004, 01:24 PM)
There is a seal there (o-ring i think) and the shifter housing is held on with 2 nuts.

Maybe the seal is bad or the nuts are loose.

hmm, I'll check the nuts first, but try to find the part number (or if anyone knows it, please chime in) for the seal...

thanks! beer.gif
groot
There's an o-ring mentioned earlier, but I think that would leak trans oil around the outside of the shifter boot.

My trans leaks into the shifter boot at an alarming rate. Pelican sells a seal for side shifter:
Shift Shaft Seal (For Side Shifter Transmission), 914 1.7/1.8/2.0 (1973-76), Each
J-112-001-50 $5.50

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca...y_pg2.htm#item8

I ordered one last night... along with another clutch disc since my clutch somehow lost all of the friction material on the flywheel side after only 3 race weekends.
Joseph Mills
Wayne,

If you have not removed that boot in a good while and there is only a spoonful or so of fluid, I would leave it alone. You could end up fixing it until it breaks. biggrin.gif

Grease up the ball and cup when you re-fit the boot. beer.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(joseph222 @ Oct 5 2004, 03:36 PM)
Wayne,

If you have not removed that boot in a good while and there is only a spoonful or so of fluid, I would leave it alone. You could end up fixing it until it breaks. biggrin.gif

Grease up the ball and cup when you re-fit the boot. beer.gif

I would say a few spoon fulls... and it's only been on about a month or 2...

and there are small holes in the cover, so any more than the spoonfulls would leak out, there seemed to be a tiny bit that had already hit the garage floor... but it was hard to say how fresh it was...
machina
also check if it was pure gear oil or if it had some water mixed in.

when I pulled mine off it was full up of water and oil... blink.gif

the mechanic had just pressure washed the underside, too well...
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Oct 5 2004, 04:14 PM)
also check if it was pure gear oil or if it had some water mixed in.

when I pulled mine off it was full up of water and oil... blink.gif

the mechanic had just pressure washed the underside, too well...

not much chance of that... when I put the engine in a few months ago, I emptied the old gear oil and put new in, it hasn't been out of the garage since :|

so there BETTER not be water in.... if so, my transmission is making water! wink.gif
jr91472
Wayne,

Check the pelican site, there is a tech article on replacing the o-ring and oil seal on that lever.

good luck
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Oct 5 2004, 02:44 PM)
QUOTE]
I would say a few spoon fulls... and it's only been on about a month or 2...

Ignor what I said. biggrin.gif

Go ahead and fit a new seal. rolleyes.gif
ambergris
Hey Wayne,
I recently replaced that exact seal. The only problem I had was a little difficulty getting the old seal out. The seal I got from Pelican was a metal donut with rubber on the inside surface. Here's the trhread about getting that seal out, if you run into similar problems:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...f=2&t=15358&hl=
tat2dphreak
thanks guys!! I appreciate the help
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.