Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: trying to help another member thru carb issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1973-914-2L
I am trying to help another member here get his car on the road ... Arkitect (David)

He was having issues with his 73 .. he is running dual IDF carbs with a Mr Gasket pressure regulator and a facet style fuel pump .. When I went to his house he stated that the passenger side carb would fill up and pour fuel out the top of the carburetor ..

I removed the carbs and brought them home .. his brass filters had debri in them .. the bottom of the fuel bowl had debri .. some of it metallic and magnetic in the bottom and the floats set at 14 and 20 mm at close and way off in drop ..

I cleaned them both out .. cleared the needle jet .. set the float levels at 10mm closed and adjusted the drop .. and sent them back over to him suggesting he do a quick squirt on the fuel pump and check flow and debri .. which he did and said was clear .. I also suggested a fuel pressure gauge to check on the Mr gasket little rotary regulator and he is telling me know that the fuel pressure is bouncing when he turns it on well over 6 lbs even though the regulator is set at 3 and the bowls are filling and over flowing again ... and that the pump does not ever stop ...

I'm thinking his regulator is shot out ... nut also looking for other input or thoughts on this ..

I should be heading over to his place in the next day or so .... so any help on this would be great ...

Thanks Steve
IronHillRestorations
He needs a low pressure fuel pump for carbs.
Woody
I've had the floats bind on the carb body before and cause the exact same problem. Before I install carbs I always check to see if the float will close the needle by turning the carb upside down and blowing into the fuel inlet.
JoeSharp
If every thing is working correctly. Put in the CB rotery pump and and be done with it.
jmill
Get the rotory pump or change the fuel pressure reg. I've had good luck with the Holley reg. One in two out is nice on the Holley. You'll need a gauge to adjust the pressure.

Float height is 10mm with the gasket.
mikey63
I had this very same issue. Replaced fuel pump with a 3/4 psi pump and added a filter before the pump and before each carb. No more pressure regulator to fail. No more crap in the carbs.

Mike
rhodyguy
if the regulator is the little chrome pos, don't trust the settings. trust your QUALITY gauge. or as mentioned, source a rotary pump designed for for carbs. borrow a gauge if want to double check the pump pressure.

k
SirAndy
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Apr 17 2012, 08:04 AM) *
Put in the CB rotery pump and and be done with it.

agree.gif

It puts out the correct pressure so no more regulator needed. Plus, it's sooooo much quieter than the facet pump ...
popcorn[1].gif
1973-914-2L
thanks guys ...

yes the regulator he has is the POS little round chrome one ..

I will let him know and we will source a proper pump and a proper regulator ...

and report back ...

Thanks ....

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.