Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil fill tower
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
Got the outside of the thing looking pretty good. I guess being caked with oil keeps it from rusting.

But the inside has sludge and stuff inside that I can't get to. Brake cleaned as much as I could.

Hate the idea of putting that thing with all that crap still in it on top of a new motor.
I want to make a nice aluminum filler one day. This thing looks like it came off of an old tractor.

Anyone BTDT?
3d914
You gotta love that thing- heh!

There must have been a better way to do that filler. Whats even worse is that the funky little bail-wire used to hold it down won't keep oil from splattering all over your nice clean engine.

A temp solution is to use your favorite RTV type gasket sealer on both sides of the filler gasket. Also make sure the cap has its seal in place.

Enjoy!
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(3d914 @ Oct 5 2004, 11:02 AM)
You gotta love that thing- heh!

There must have been a better way to do that filler. Whats even worse is that the funky little bail-wire used to hold it down won't keep oil from splattering all over your nice clean engine.

A temp solution is to use your favorite RTV type gasket sealer on both sides of the filler gasket. Also make sure the cap has its seal in place.

Enjoy!

Yeah, RTV! That way you can ensure it leaks! Use the orange kind, so it'll REALLY look ugly and backyard! Seriously, RTV has no place in, on, or around your engine. The various seals and gaskets are meant to be in contact with the metal and adding RTV, a questionable product under almost any circumstances, will actually promote leaks rather than eliminate them. The Cap'n
Root_Werks
I would think the best way to stop that funky oil filler from leaking would be to convert to a 914-6. Pesky oil filler leaks will be a thing of the past. cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.