Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are Nickies and JE pistons worth the $$?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rwilner
Just wondering what the thoughts are here on Nickies and JE pistons vs. boring out stock 1.7 barrels and using KB pistons.

The Nickies approach adds at LEAST $2k to the build. What's the real-world benefit...horsepower? Longevity? Does anyone here have experience with both they can share?

The application here is 96mm, so this is not going to be some overbored insanity engine...a fun street car that will see a few AX / DE events, not a purpose-built track car.

(Reading on the 356 forums guys love them, but the 356 engine is a different animal and some of those guys have cars that cost $100k so an extra $2k in the engine is easier to justify.)

thanks
Rich
pilothyer
Rich.....It is my understanding that the 1.7 cylinders (90 mm) are not good candidates for boring out to 96 mm....they would be too thin after the bore. I am sure the 2.0 cylinders (94 mm) would work though and maybe even the 1.8 (93 mm)
rwilner
QUOTE(pilothyer @ Apr 17 2012, 10:17 AM) *

Rich.....It is my understanding that the 1.7 cylinders (90 mm) are not good candidates for boring out to 96 mm....they would be too thin after the bore. I am sure the 2.0 cylinders (94 mm) would work though and maybe even the 1.8 (93 mm)

hm....
thanks Jerry, I'll look for some 2.0L cyls if I go the bore-out approach!
pilothyer
I am kind of in the same boat, I was looking into getting the AA cylinders with the KB pistons from Jake's Type 4 Store, but have had many negative remarks about the AA cylinders.............So I checked around for places that do the proper bore and hone on my 94 mm original cylinders using a torque plate and they all seem to get around $75 to $80 per cylinder, They all want the pistons sent to them as well for fitting.
ArtechnikA
They're all I am considering for my 2,8.
If you think 4 is expensive, price 6 ...
JamesM
QUOTE(rwilner @ Apr 17 2012, 06:19 AM) *

QUOTE(pilothyer @ Apr 17 2012, 10:17 AM) *

hm....
thanks Jerry, I'll look for some 2.0L cyls if I go the bore-out approach!

I beleive the 1.8s have the same OD and are probably easier to come by as cores, though the easiest route would probably be

http://www.europeanmotorworks.com/pvw/034-...Cylinder+-+Each

Jake Raby
Not for your level of performance.. We start using Nickies at 98mm bores and 45HP per cylinder of output for street engines. Track engines have proven to benefit from Nickies and their greater thermal conductivity at performance levels greater than 35HP per cylinder.

ape914
My J E pistons and 2 liter bored out cylinders in my 2056 motor work nicely and cost was resonable. Talking with an experienced engine builder, he likes the JE pistons and the KB ones, but if price is an issue he can get AA pistons, the problem he has is he has to send some of them back every now and then as they dont always measure right. Once he measures them, he can select the best sizes, and build a resonably economical motor, and with the measurements checked, he finds the AA pistons can last just fine. the trick to AA is sort out any out of specification ones before the build. I believe the builder uses different piston rings.

The builder does not have that problem of out of measurement pistons from KB or JE.

My JE had a slipper skirt and some ceramic coating on them, very high tech.

However if economy of the build is an issue, AA can be used, You just have to be willing to wait for a return if you find any out of measurement.

So figure the cost and budget, if cheaper pistons fit the bill, then more money saved for suspension or other car work. Just besure to check the measurements on any piston you install. Dont bore the cylinders until you have the pistons you will use in hand
McMark
Probably not, although, I built a big bore 912 engine (616 engine) with Nickies and it run delightfully cool with all the stock tin. IMHO, if you can afford them, they are a nice upgrade for a 2270 because they'll keep things cooler and last longer. But building an engine without them isn't a bad idea. They aren't a necessity.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 17 2012, 09:38 AM) *

Probably not, although, I built a big bore 912 engine (616 engine) with Nickies and it run delightfully cool with all the stock tin. IMHO, if you can afford them, they are a nice upgrade for a 2270 because they'll keep things cooler and last longer. But building an engine without them isn't a bad idea. They aren't a necessity.

The 616 engines benefit more from Nickies because the reduced cooling capability of stock cylinders.. Also the price differential isn't as great with Nickies Vs. OEM solutions in regard to the 356/ 616 engines. I won't build a 356 engine without them.
mepstein
Rich - I think you might want to step back and work up some goals for what you want in your engine: HP, torque, rpm, budget, longevity, time and effort to build, ect... Then plan a build that will accomplish your goals. Good luck, mark
Mark Henry
Nickies and JE's are needed for 103's, JE's work best for Nickies. but you also require the ARP head studs.
KB's work for best for bored out cast, just use the stock head studs.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.