Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Accelerator pedal disconnect
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
IanStott
The accelerator pedal is just flopping around, what parts do I need to repair this and where do I get them?
Thanks.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada confused24.gif
Climb down in there with a flash-light and take a look, the back of the pedal has a socket on it, and behind the pedal you should see a metal arm with a ball on it, if the arm just disconnected, you can pop it back in place. If you do so, make sure that the pedal is in good shape, IE- the socket is not worn or broken, if it is, replace the pedal. Replacing the pedal is easy, just remove the two screws at the base of the pedal (the pedal has a hinge at the bottom) and it will come off. A new one can be found at any of the various vendors, I think its around 50-60$

dont try to use the pedal if its broken-for obvious reasons!

if the metal rod is stuck or broken, or if your accelerator cable is broken, than write back, you have a bit more work to do!
IanStott
Don't think cable is broken but it sure is stiff, popped pedal back on just fell off again, since I am in the first stages of a complete restoration should I just replace everything?

Ian Stott
Well,

take a good look down there and see what shape everything is in, in particular, is there any brake fluid leaking around the pedal box? the master cylinder is right on the other side of the brake pedal and when it goes, that whole pedal box area gets doused with brake fluid...

if this is the case, you will likely need to remove the pedal box to clean it all out, and if the springs, bushings etc are coated in brake fluid, you'll want to remove it and clean/replace as needed.

if the area is dry, than I'd say go ahead and replace the accelerator cable, look at the pedal spring/ bushings and replace as needed. This is all cheap work as far as parts, but it takes some time the first time you pull this stuff out because of limited space and 30 years of rust, grime etc... do it all slowly so you dont strip any bolts...lots of penetrating fluid is key!
TravisNeff
My accell pedal broke and I fixed it the ole' hillbilly way. I used a door hinge, cut it to size and voila! Gots me a gas pedal. $3 beer.gif
mike_the_man
I think that replacing the thottle cable was one of the most frustrating jobs I have done on my 914. What I expected to be an hour job turned into a week long project. I'm not trying to scare you, just be aware.

Ian, I talked to you a couple of months ago, didn't I? If you have any other questions, feel free to call me. If you don't have my #, email or PM me. I'll do what I can to help (for what thats worth) smile.gif
IanStott
Hi Mike, Yes we had a good chat, I just brought the car home last week, had to wait for the garage to be built so it was at a friends shop til last week. Am now starting to strip the car but haven't taken the engine out yet, seems like a good time to change cables. I read a thread recently that referred to " Terry " cables, are you familiar with those? Boy would I ever like to have one of those Raby engines! I need to get the body rust free before I can really do anything else, the engine runs fine and it does have a pair of Webers but I have no idea what else may have been done. We are going to tear it down and have a good look and clean up the heads. I need exhaust so from what I have been reading the stainless seems the way to go. I have a feeling I may have to spend the kid's inheritance before I'm done! driving.gif

Ian Stott
mike_the_man
Ian,

If you're planning a full resto, I have a feeling you'll end up spending a lot of that inheritance alright! Post some pics for us, we all love to see progress. I've heard the terry cables are supposed to be nice. I believe Pelican sells them. I bought just the regular throttle cable from RGR Auto Parts in Winnipeg. I find that unless I have a large order, it gets expensive quick ordering parts from the States.

RGR's web site is http://www.rgrautoparts.com/ The owner Gord is a good guy, and he has a couple of 916-6s, so he knows his stuff.

If you have any other questions, give me a call, send me an email, or post on here. You're always bound to get several great answers on here.
Rusty
QUOTE(IanStott @ Oct 5 2004, 10:38 PM)
The accelerator pedal is just flopping around, what parts do I need to repair this and where do I get them?
Thanks.

I've heard that the 914 pedal is NLA... but the 911 part is exactly the same. On the other hand, you can get a set of spiffy stainless pedals for about the same price. All depends how concours you want to be. I have a set in my duffle bag that I'm waiting to install.

I agree that if you're going to dive into that area... do it right. Pull the carpet, clean/POR-15 the area, rebuild the pedal cluster if need be (about an hour of work in itself).

If you're going to replace the cable... tie a piece of string to the pedal end before you drag it out the back. then use the same piece of string to pull the new one into place... as a guide so you don't tangle/twist them up.

hope this helps,
Rusty smoke.gif
p914
Well that does it.... yer gonna have to sell the dang car now. It'll never run raght now that ya broke the gas pedel.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.