Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTF was engine bay designer thinking?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
Jeff Bowlsby posted the following excellent picture of the fuel pump configuration last week.

WTF was the designer thinking? No wonder there was many fires there. Almost impossible to replace the hoses unless you had experience building a ship in a bottle. Plastic fuel lines! Not to mention how close the pump is to the heater tunnel. I am sure the extreme heat there sent many pumps and hoses to a early grave. My first one failed after two years and the car was new! This is a picture with engine out too! Can you imagine replacing the fuel lines climbing under the car with gas leaking on you! Been there, done that!

I moved my pump 20 years ago and I can replace hoses easier plus monitor potential problems before it becomes a real problem!
McMark
Like a lot of 914 projects- it's a PITA the first time, and gets easier each time. Fuel hoses should be replaced with some frequency anyway.

A lift really helps, and not just a big shop lift. The mid-rise lifts are great.
lonewolfe
I agree it is a PITA job to replace all the fuel lines. I just did it this past weekend. The fuel pump on my 1972 was not attched to anything and just kind of hanging by the lines. I recently bought this car and am still going through it. the bracket for the filter is still there but nothing for the pump. Seriously thinking of moving it up front under the fuel tank. Putting it in the front by the tank makes a lot more sense than the original design. My 1975 has this with pretty easy access by removing a metal plate in the front trunk firewall.

QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 17 2012, 01:34 PM) *

Like a lot of 914 projects- it's a PITA the first time, and gets easier each time. Fuel hoses should be replaced with some frequency anyway.

A lift really helps, and not just a big shop lift. The mid-rise lifts are great.

RoadGlue
Ha! The job sucks for sure... but you don't even have a motor or heater bits in the way. No whining allowed. smile.gif
lonewolfe
So true! I had everything in place except the engine lid which is off for a needed hinge repair. I imagine the lines would be pretty simple to service with the motor out of the car.

QUOTE(RoadGlue @ May 29 2012, 04:43 PM) *

Ha! The job sucks for sure... but you don't even have a motor or heater bits in the way. No whining allowed. smile.gif

rhodyguy
at least you have a good ref picture. doing it blind or with the pictures in the haynes (as good as blind) is a nightmare.

k
Mark Henry
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 17 2012, 04:34 PM) *

agree.gif I don't think that since the old beetle that a single car has been made without the thought that you will take it to a shop with a lift.
I bought a lift because I could no longer tolerate crawling under cars, best investment I ever made.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.