Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7,1.8, & 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
911 defector
I'm looking at the the 914's for sale and I see a lot of nice 1.7 & 1.8's. What's the difference in handling, power, and performance in general? Thanks
Spoke
I don't think there's much difference in HP between the 1.7 and 1.8L engines. Both are anemic. The 2.0L has almost enough HP to be fun. Personally I would look for a 2.0L over a 1.7/1.8L.

When you do find a 914, take a 914world member with you. The couple of beers/lunch/dinner it will cost you will be well worth it. As the saying goes, beauty is skin deep, rust goes all the way through.
type47
... but the best thing to do is find the one with the body in the best condition, as Spoke pointed out, rust is the biggest enemy of the 914. You can always build up an engine (since you are a 911 defector, you will be seeking more power very shortly) and a 2 L can be built on a 1.7 or 1.8 case (cranks are different, heads are different, tin, ...). So, if you find a 1.7 with a good body, it might be more desireable than a 2L with a rusty body.
timothy_nd28
The 1.7L has slightly more HP than the 1.8L. However, the 1.8L may have cheaper and more available fuel injection parts.
Mikey914
QUOTE(type47 @ Apr 17 2012, 07:14 PM) *

... but the best thing to do is find the one with the body in the best condition, as Spoke pointed out, rust is the biggest enemy of the 914. You can always build up an engine (since you are a 911 defector, you will be seeking more power very shortly) and a 2 L can be built on a 1.7 or 1.8 case (cranks are different, heads are different, tin, ...). So, if you find a 1.7 with a good body, it might be more desireable than a 2L with a rusty body.

Second that. The motor work is easy, the rust repair can be quite extensive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.