Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sheridan standard fiberglass kit install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
FL000
I have a Sheridan standard body kit that I am installing; currently in the fitment stage. I plan to use panel bond adhesive to secure them, and I would like the transition from fiberglass panel to stock door/hood/lights/etc to be flush. Any one with experience doing this that can tell me what work I have in store (besides towing it to a body shop)?

Thanks!
Andyrew
The panels are made to fit on TOP of the standard body panels and literally bolt on. They are not designed to be molded in.

The transition is difficult. I did it on my HPH body panels, but it requires cutting back pretty far and molding them in, aka a LOT of body filler and sanding.

Check my progress thread in my sig.
Elliot Cannon
Don't bond them on. Use Dzus fasteners. It makes working on the car much easier. I could take off both rear fenders and the front end in about 15 minutes. It might be a little more work than bonding but you'll be glad you did.
FL000
Andrew - thanks for pointing me to your project thread. I need to take my time reading through it all but after a quick skim I can tell how much work you had to put into it. Came out awesome though and I can't believe how fast you cranked it out!

Elliot - I did consider the Dzus fasteners but since this is going to be a street car I opted for something permanent. I like your setup on the front to get the air up into what I presume is a radiator. I have a V8 in mine so I will probably do something similar to get good airfllow into it.
Mr. 5150
Mine was installed with rivets and spray painted but the results are menacing as I am told. I can't take credit but it does look cool.
914junkie
My 73 is a V8 conversion with a Sheridan Body as well. I installed the rear flares and tail with threaded inserts in the sheet metal and small stainless dome top hex head bolts with nylon washers so they snug up tight without cracking the fiberglass. For the front section I made both aluminum and steel brackets that bolt to the body. I put 1/4" rubber mat between the brackets and fiberglass for it to rest on for some cushion. Has worked well for a few years now. It makes it alot easier for both maintenance and repair. ~ Paul welder.gif smash.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.