Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Supercharged, NOS fed TIV Copper!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jake Raby
These bikes belongs to a friend of mine, Bud Burkey. He brought the,m out to the show in Sevierville Tennessee this past weekend and sat them up in front of our booth.

IPB Image

The first one he built is actually the orange one, it has a 2500cc type IV normally aspirated with Dual 44 Webers. Its wild and I love it, but the new one is just amazing!

The red bike is his newest one. it is outfitted with a 2800cc TIV Supercharged with a 50HP shot of Nitrous when he feels like using it. Both bikes utilize beetle gearboxes with custom linkage that Bud designed and built himself. He even built both the engines as well!

Bud is a custom shotgun builder and has built these bikes in their entireety 100% himself. The frames are built from shotgun barrels, alot of the material was sourced from other applications or he just made it himself. All the machine work was done to these without the aid of CNC equipment, just old Bridgeports and lathes and alot of dedication. His attention to detail and dedication is unreal!

Engine wise the supercharged bike has a tendency to run rich with the long runners, and supercharger so we will be setting him up with a Kit Carlson FI system soon so he can still keep the throttle bodies and mount the injectors directly in the stock location to enhance efficiency and tuning!

The best time in the qtr mile was in the mid 9 second range, and in the 1/8 mile the new bike has pulled a 138 MPH pass!!

In the close up of the engine, look at the foot peg- its a nice touch for a gun smith to add to his handle bars and foot pegs!

Bud is a true artist, and he keeps with one of my favorite quotes from Edison........ "To invent you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" Most of these pieces used to make the bikes were scraps from Buds machine shop...

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Before you ask; He doesn't sell these and won't build one for anyone else. This is his hobby......... Although I am going to have him put me together a frame for a project way down the road!

BTW- The engines cool just fine, he rides these bikes all over the east coast to Harley shows and Bike weeks!
Targa
Is that an Eaton Supercharger he is using? If so, what model is it? I know I have been thinking about one to use on my engine for about 6psi of boost. And now they make them with an internal bypass valve. burnout.gif
Jake Raby
Eaton M45

I have used them on TIV engines in the past...
914forme
pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif

I like very much great job, If his guns are half as good, I don't even want to think what the cost.
Jake Raby
Yep, the guns are not cheap... BUt they are used in matches that can pay for them with just a single win of one tournament..

They even use carbon fiber for some barrels!
Ray Warren
"will be setting him up with a Kit Carlson FI system soon"
Jake, any new news on the kit?
URY914
I like it better than those big ass SB Chebbys I've seen in bikes.

Paul
Targa
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 5 2004, 03:16 PM)
Eaton M45

I have used them on TIV engines in the past...

Not Surprised Jake! Thanks for sharing
Jake Raby
Dave has been working on the kits for the FI. I have 4 engines awaiting them right now for their dyno sessions!

No promises until he gets the units produced and we get some of them tested up as well..... See, both the units I have had here for testing, including the one on my car dave has built by hand. No problems are foreseen but we want to make sure anyway!

Patience- patience.....
Andyrew
Thats just plain too cool!

I know I'd be scared....
wheelo
Very Cool .... ( Hot Bikes ) ... sweet custom work !

Thanks Jake,
JmuRiz
Hmmm Eaton Supercharger kit....now we're talking. Any word on how much it would take to fab up something like that? I'm guessing cooling (in a 914) would be a big challenge, right?
Jake Raby
Sometime in 2005 I want to work on a kit with this charger, plenum and an EFI set up from Kit Carlson...

It would fit with stock cooling!

I have already done 3 engines with thischarger and another one for a customer who used the charger and completed the engine himself- it was for a 914.
Root_Werks
Wow! ohmy.gif Those are some pretty neat bikes! That much power on a bike would freak me out, and I ride mine 84 miles a day 5 days a week. But damn cool to see and probably even better to hear run! biggrin.gif
joea9146
Very Very Nice.... Would love to have one... biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.