Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rough cold start, Rougher hot start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Canine14
Hello 914world,

This is my first thread on the forum, thanks for having me!

I have a diagnostic question concerning a 1973 914 2.0:

The engine starts but won't idle without a decent amount of pressure on the gas pedal. after about 3 to 5 minutes the gas pedal can be released and the engine idles fine.

After traveling about ten miles or 15 to 20 minutes, I can shut off the engine and turn it back on immediately without any problems. But if the engine sits for say 10 minutes after being run for those 20 minutes, then upon restart the engine will not idle without a significant amount of gas pedal pressure. It will actually run even worse than when started cold, almost as if the engine is running on 2 or 3 cylinders.

The engine will not run well again until it completely cools, the engine is started and the gas is depressed for 3-5 minutes as stated above.

I appreciate questions or ideas on what might be happening.

thankyou!
TheCabinetmaker

First, Welcome.
Second, Your aar may be stuck closed. That will cause the rough ,no idle cold start.

Third, Foot to floor on hot start means its flooded after sitting for a few minutes. The FI will hold fuel pressure for a half hour or better. Either an injector, ot the cold start valve is leaking. Find the hose to cold start valve in the middle of the drivers side fuel rail. Follow that hose to the cold start valve on the intake plenum. Unplug the wires, disconnect the hose and plug it. then see if it still has a hot start problem. As for the cold start, Find the aar valve and remove the hose that is not hooked to the air cleaner. Then check for a high idle at cold start. then get back to us.
underthetire
Everything you pretty much need to check and know..

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/
76-914
agree.gif if it's FI. It's not carb'd is it?
Canine14
thanks for the response! i'll check all that stuff out and get back to you guys.

It is fuel injected.
mrholland2
QUOTE(Canine14 @ Apr 18 2012, 08:51 PM) *

thanks for the response! i'll check all that stuff out and get back to you guys.

It is fuel injected.

welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.