Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Correct Engine Mount Bar for a '71 1.7L
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
euro911
OK, it's been a while, and I forgot which one of these engine mount bars came out of my wife's car dry.gif

Click to view attachment

1. Which one is correct for a '71? (I'd like to keep her car correct)

2. Just so I'll know, when did the bars change? (MY)

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 18 2012, 03:51 PM) *

OK, it's been a while, and I forgot which one of these engine mount bars came out of my wife's car dry.gif

Click to view attachment

1. Which one is correct for a '71? (I'd like to keep her car correct)

2. Just so I'll know, when did the bars change? (MY)

Mark,

The nicely finished (though not the proper finish, and mine is the same) bar at the top of your pic is correct for a '71. There were threads on the "original" finish of the bars. My memory (not trustworthy) is that the bars were simply raw steel.

The bars changed when the sideshifter came out.

Early bars had a hole in them for the clutch cable to fit through.
Pat
euro911
Hi Pat.

We recently did a conversion on another car, so, I'm familiar with what a side-shifter bar looks like.

What year car does the lower bar (in the pic) go to then? ... it's definitely for a 914, and both of these bars appear to be for tail shifters confused24.gif

I'll search for the thread in the mean time ...
cvdmolen
Cheerio, mine '71 1.7 (EU) has the bottom one in it smile.gif
euro911
It's starting to make sense. The original owners of our '71 purchased the car while on a planned vacation to Germany. They drove it around Europe for a couple of months or so, then had it shipped to California.

The top bar in the pic above is similar to the design of a side-shift style bar, made from cast-iron. I'm starting to believe the lower bar is an early bar, and probably IS the correct one that I removed from our '71 a few years ago.

Thanks for sharing your observations beer.gif

... and, for anyone who's interested, I have a nice, blasted and freshly painted, cast-iron 1.7 tail-shift mount bar for sale laugh.gif
SirAndy
I've never even seen the top version, only the bottom version ...
popcorn[1].gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 22 2012, 06:34 PM) *

I've never even seen the top version, only the bottom version ...
popcorn[1].gif

The top version is the one I have on my original 1972 1.7, though it isn't REALLY original because it was repainted in 1979.
euro911
So, it looks like the cast-iron one is a one-year only ('72) bar confused24.gif
Pat Garvey
This is not really a goog pic, but if you look closely you'll seethat the clutch cable goes through the opening in the bar. Not over, not under, but through.

It IS original to the late '72, but I was under the assumption that all prior four cylinder models had the same bar.

???????
walterolin
I have a 1.7 made in August 1970. It has the lower bar.
slu234
I have a stock `70 which has the lower bar.
gms
Top Bar 1972 only
Bottom bar 1970-71
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(gms @ Nov 15 2012, 01:50 PM) *

Top Bar 1972 only
Bottom bar 1970-71

Very enlightening. I'm edumicated today.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.