Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fresh Air Blower
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
The fresh air blower works fine on low and medium, but nt on high. Scrubbed contact through the ashtry opening; verified the wire is attached by removing the radio.

My mechanic thinks the high setting has a relay. What should I do ? I'm trying to restore this baby back to original working condition; these item are challenging.
jim_hoyland
hmmm. that is not my car; try this...
jim912928
Two things,

1st, does the control handle go all the way over to the right to actually make contact to fire up the "high" setting? Reason I ask is while I was adjusting my cable at the fresh air blower (not the wire, but the clamp down) it would sometimes only work on low and med, or only high and med. Sure is picky where you lock down the cable with the clamp.

2nd, and this is a pain in the ass...if you want to check your blower motor (I did this) you have to take it out (at least this is the only way I could get to it)...then you can jumper each terminal that supports low, med and high to see if you get those speeds.

If your blower motor is bad..I do have an extra very dirty but working blower motor (case is rough shape and all apart but the blower runs fine).
aircooledboy
I cant answer your question, but I luv your car. wub.gif

that copper rocks aktion035.gif
jim912928
oh..by the way...very nice looking 914!
markb
QUOTE(jim912928 @ Oct 5 2004, 07:59 PM)

2nd, and this is a pain in the ass...if you want to check your blower motor (I did this) you have to take it out (at least this is the only way I could get to it)...then you can jumper each terminal that supports low, med and high to see if you get those speeds.

My guess would be this.
Joe Ricard
Na if the blower motor spins on low and medium then the motor is good.
Low and medium settings are the result of 12V DC being reduced through the two resistors inside the blower motor at the plug connection. to get high speed you need full 12V and this is through the same hot wire just different ground selected by the top lever on the dash. can't remember if it is white W/green stripe or White W/ yellow stripe or White W/ red stripe. But those three are the sudo ground wires. to the blower control.
Check your connection again. You can if you are careful push down on the high speed contact with power supplied. did I mention be careful? w00t.gif use plastic or wood pusher.
jim_hoyland
Tried pushing down, no go; can I ground the high speed wire to the frame for testing ?
jim912928
When I tested my motor...i simply put 12v to the lead of the motor and grounded each of the respective low, med high terminals. Can't see why you couldn't do that at the control instead. That should tell you if it is the contact area on the control or not. If that still doesn't work, not sure if you can get back there with the tank on, but do the test at the motor itself. If it works there, doesn't work by grounding the "hi" contact..then it just might be the wire in between.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.