Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gauging interest. Bi-xenon headlight conversion kit.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chris914n6
So 10 years ago I designed a low profile popup headlight kit using the Hella 90mm housings. Didn't have the all tools to produce them. Now I do. But times have changed and bi-xenon housings are readily available. Plus, 1 will do the job of 2 and fit A LOT neater.

Package would include a pair of FX-R bi-xenon projectors, custom powder-coated headlight structures, formed lexan shrouds, and a few other pieces to make it a quality product. Raised headlight height will be about 1/2 stock. (Sleepy eyes for you s13 owners lol)

Price will be about $350-400.

You will still need D2S bulbs and ballasts. New kits run about $70 for DDM, $160 for Morimoto, and $250 for Philips & Mitsu OEM stuff.

OR

Also been working on a design for the turn signal location. Hi Felix bye1.gif Using the Mini projectors, LED panels for the park/turn lights, Lexan cover, housing. Hoping to get the D2S version to fit so it can use the Awesome and Almost as Awesome bulb/ballast setups. Still labor intensive enough to put the price in the $350-400 range.

LASTLY

Also brainstormed a LED replacement for the side marker. Less wart, more pimple lol. Looking to be about $100/pr if the idea pans out.
billh1963
I will watch this thread with interest! I might be interested depending on how close to stock (cosmetically) the final solution turns out.
tracer
I would be on board for this change. Do you have any pictures of the finished working system you are proposing?
carr914
Also watching
rnellums
VERY interested in a headlight for the turn signal location. If you develop a kit for this I WILL buy it.

-Ross
effutuo101
Pictures?
matthepcat
I am always interested in this stuff. I am a fan of unconventional, and I like the sleepy eye concept.
Mike Bellis
Interested. Need to see a mock up.
falconfp2001
Very interested. popcorn[1].gif

By half Height, do you mean to modify the Headlight so it only opens half height? The way the headlight motors and relays are designed, they would have to fully cycle to open so how would you keep the motor from doing this?

While working on mine I once blew a fuse because the motor could not fully cycle to its stop position. Would be cool to have only a few inches open just don't see it happening easily.
matthepcat
Probably will not use factory motors.....or motors at all(thats how I would do it).

Or maybe linear actuators.

QUOTE(falconfp2001 @ Apr 19 2012, 10:50 AM) *

Very interested. popcorn[1].gif

By half Height, do you mean to modify the Headlight so it only opens half height? The way the headlight motors and relays are designed, they would have to fully cycle to open so how would you keep the motor from doing this?

While working on mine I once blew a fuse because the motor could not fully cycle to its stop position. Would be cool to have only a few inches open just don't see it happening easily.

McMark
I did that with factory motors and bi-xenon. happy11.gif
Chris914n6
Questions to date...

Pics- I find the brainstorming part fun, lots of doodles, sourced components I would use, but haven't invested the many hours or dollars to prototype it or jigs. Probably 2 weeks for the frame and another 2 weeks for the molding bucks. Plus a week for the hard parts to get here.

Motors- Uses stock motor setup. Just needed to change lever geometry.

Fog lights- Got a PM about adding fog lights to the popups. Anyone else into that possibility?

Original Hella fitting.
IPB Image
JmuRiz
I'm watching too, I'm a fan of modern tech in an old package...sometimes it pays to buy a non original car smile.gif

914/8 style duals would be cool, but I guess that'd need a new hood shape...so stock headlight covers would be best.
Chris914n6
Looks like enough interest to move forward, so this weekend I did a mock-up and started blueprinting. Ordering hard parts Monday. Raised height about 4 1/2".

IPB Image

IPB Image
rnellums
Looks good. Shoot me a PM if you get around to making them for mount in the turn signal housing!

-Ross
jimsfolly
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Apr 19 2012, 01:23 AM) *

So 10 years ago I designed a low profile popup headlight kit using the Hella 90mm housings. Didn't have the all tools to produce them. Now I do. But times have changed and bi-xenon housings are readily available. Plus, 1 will do the job of 2 and fit A LOT neater.

Package would include a pair of FX-R bi-xenon projectors, custom powder-coated headlight structures, formed lexan shrouds, and a few other pieces to make it a quality product. Raised headlight height will be about 1/2 stock. (Sleepy eyes for you s13 owners lol)

Price will be about $350-400.

You will still need D2S bulbs and ballasts. New kits run about $70 for DDM, $160 for Morimoto, and $250 for Philips & Mitsu OEM stuff.

OR

Also been working on a design for the turn signal location. Hi Felix bye1.gif Using the Mini projectors, LED panels for the park/turn lights, Lexan cover, housing. Hoping to get the D2S version to fit so it can use the Awesome and Almost as Awesome bulb/ballast setups. Still labor intensive enough to put the price in the $350-400 range.

LASTLY

Also brainstormed a LED replacement for the side marker. Less wart, more pimple lol. Looking to be about $100/pr if the idea pans out.

Trying to be patient waiting for update on progress, I was going to do the dual 60mm hella setup but i've got more money than time..... pray.gif
smj
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Apr 19 2012, 05:42 PM) *

I'm watching too, I'm a fan of modern tech in an old package...sometimes it pays to buy a non original car smile.gif

Amen, brother! biggrin.gif

I'm very interested, I think these would look great with the slant nose on my -6. Torn about incorporating the fogs, I generally like the option of running them without having to pop up the mains.
kerensky
Highly interested in this mod. smile.gif popcorn[1].gif
Chris914n6
You know the quick times were to keep me motivated and not for you right lol. The Universe honors no plans. Took 3 weeks to get parts as I timed the order right during industry week. Can't find a local supplier for the 5/8" .095 DOM cross tube... luckily I don't need much because it's costing triple. Everything else is coming together. Have a paper template and the design is done. Just need to build one and real world test it.

I also worked out a deal to get electronics, so I can do a discounted package.

Here are some teaser pics from when the lights first got here. Chrome shroud optional. Tape over lens so I don't scratch 'em.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Double light/fog. Also the same lights for the turn sig setup if that gets more interest.
IPB Image
smj
Thinking about this a little more, the dual headlight/foglight setup might be a good option for the earlier cars where the headlights are always raised when the running lights are turned on. (At least, that's the case with my -6...)
Harpo
I'm interested in the led side marker that is less wart like

Thanks

David
Chris914n6
About that side marker... I took mine off so long ago I forgot they didn't blink, so it's kinda over spec'd lol. So it's currently up in the air if and how I tackle it.

smj- I'm making a set for someone and have no problem making another or 2 or 20. I ended up with a 2 piece frame so it's not that involved as originally anticipated.

Though... it sounds like you have a wire crossed on your switch. All the cars I've played with function: off >> park on >> raise hl & on. Then pushing in it's: all on >> hl off >> park off & hl down.

There is also the option of DRL. I can do the halo rings like the BMWs.
kerensky
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jun 1 2012, 07:17 PM) *
There is also the option of DRL. I can do the halo rings like the BMWs.
I think I'd do that with the fogs, personally.
smj

smj- I'm making a set for someone and have no problem making another or 2 or 20. I ended up with a 2 piece frame so it's not that involved as originally anticipated.

Groovy - I'll just have to make another of those whatchacallums... "decisions" ... no problem. wink.gif

Though I gotta say, this is probably not going to be the most cost effective way to get around that one %$#! headlight retaining ring screw that's rusted tight into place... biggrin.gif

Though... it sounds like you have a wire crossed on your switch. All the cars I've played with ...

A wire crossed on one of my cars? Something less than factory original?? That, sir, is simply unpossible! laugh.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.