Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel pressure gauge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisReale
If I were to mount a fuel pressure gauge in the engine compartment, what size fittings do I need to hook it up to the middle fuel rail spot on the drivers side? Anyone have a gauge recommendation? I know Dave Darling has done this....
jdogg
Chris-
I just did this a couple months back. I blocked off the cold start valve and used that fuel line - got a VDO guage 0-60 psi, and some fittings from the Home Cheapo. I believe it was a 3/16" barbed hose nipple that threaded into a block that had 1/8"NPT threads cut into it for the guage. Zip tied it to the hood release cable and all is good!!!!! I will try to post a pic, this will be a learning experience!!

Man that feels good, first time I have been able to offer advice vs. seek advice!!!!!
jdogg
Let's see if this works......................
jdogg
Holy shit!!!!!!! It worked.

Cheesy installation, I know, but it works with no leaks!!!!!!!!
Bruce Allert
JDogg, looks like the same guage I used.
You're probaly gonna catch some shit for those hose clamps... I used the same clamps rolleyes.gif that's why I didn't rush out and post picks of mine biggrin.gif I've heard the local FLAPS has FI clamps. I need to get some and replace all mine so I don't get flamed in the engine compartment. (would rather be flamed here than there!!!) cool_shades.gif
bruce
jdogg
Clue me in Bruce, what the hell is a FI clamp? Obviously, I used these because the fit to the nipple wasn't as tight as I would have liked it (never is...haha). Are these clamps plastic, softer edges so's not to cut that hose? :gilloutine:
StratPlayer
This is how mine is setup
Brad Roberts
One thing that is not getting mentioned...

Use a liquid filled gauge. They have a more consistant reading (the needle doesnt bounce as much with the pressure waves)

I like Strats. Very clean install.

B
Brad Roberts
I wish you guy's could have seen DD and I running his car up and down the freeway with 10ft of fuel line hooked up to a gauge sitting inside the car... so we could read it under load.

clap56.gif

B
StratPlayer
Hmmmm, liquid filled, last time I bought one of those it was for my harley,, Arlen Ness oil press. $189.00 with mounting bracket....
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(jdogg @ May 8 2003, 05:08 PM)
Clue me in Bruce, what the hell is a FI clamp? Obviously, I used these because the fit to the nipple wasn't as tight as I would have liked it (never is...haha). Are these clamps plastic, softer edges so's not to cut that hose? :gilloutine:

The clamps on jdoggs pic use a screw that uses the slots on the band to tighten it. They have a tendancy to cut into the rubber and could eventually cause a break in the line. This will result in very bad things happening. FI clamps have a bolt on one end of the band and a nut on the other. The bands are solid with no slots and have rounded edges so as not to cut into the fuel lines. Pardon my crude drawing, but it gets the point across better than I can with words
Brad Roberts
Summit racing... 45.00

B
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ May 8 2003, 06:19 PM)
Summit racing... 45.00

B

For the FI clamps??? Was that on e-bay from the guy with the shifter knob????
OOOOHHHhhhhhh for the liquid filled guage..
wink.gif
Bruce Allert
FI = Fuel Injection. There are many different places to get liquid filled guages. If you go to a store that specializes in waterworks stuff they have glycerin filled guages in the price range of $25+
bruce
Bleyseng
Those FI clamps are a must unless you like BBQ'd 914's. The regular clamps cut right into the hose, perfect for a high pressure mist of gas to come out of onto hot engine parts.
Nice drawing!
Geoff
Lawrence
10 foot of fuel line?

The distance doesn't effect reading, like it does when calculating air pressure over long lines from a compressor?

-Rusty
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.