Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Best Linux Distrubution
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
I am looking at upgrading our Linux workstations at work. We run Redhat 7.0 right now, and would normally just upgrade to the latest Red Hat but now they charge $$ now for the OS, which used to be a free download. I am considering SUSE Linux as well. We use Linux as a technical desktop in an engineering firm, and I also use it to run application servers like Tomcat and other Java apps. Any recommendations?
lapuwali
The only thing "official" you can get from RedHat now is the Enterprise server. The desktop stuff has been dropped. Fedora is their free "experimental" version, which (I believe) still has the desktop stuff. However, from every report I've heard, Fedora has all kinds of problems.

I'm still running RH 9.0, which is the last "free" desktop version they delivered. Much better than 7.0, esp. for desktop stuff.

I'm facing a similar decision soon myself, and will probably go to Slackware for servers. Old and familiar to me. For desktop, I haven't a clue what to tell you.
mikey
I use Fedora Core 2 at home. Not sure if there are restrictions that would prevent you from using it in a business environment. If there are SuSE would be a good choice.
thomasotten
Well Red Hat does have "Enterprise Workstation", so they do have a non-server product. But it starts at $179. SUSE is $89. We also run VMWare for access to Windows, so you can see that the costs start to add up to set up a single system.
ThinAir
SuSe is gonna charge you also. Personally, I use Xandros. Yes they charge for it, but it installs very easily and works great for people to are coming from Windows. I've never managed to be successful with SuSe and had only limited success with Mandrake. I also like the fact that Xandros is based upon Debian which has the best package management stuff around.
SirAndy
freeBSD is still free ...

wink.gif Andy
ThinAir
I forgot - Xandros now has a free edition that you can download. The Business Edition comes with Crossover Office so if you need to run Windoze programs you get a lot for your money.
fiid
I am running Fedora Core 2. I have not seen any serious reasons to use anything else. When RedHat dropped "support" for RH9 and went to Fedora, I tried Debian, and it sucked. Core is nice, and has an excellent package manager/update tool called yum. This should be the last upgrade you have to reinstall for. I reinstalled my server in a weekend. Did a little config work, and nearly all the software I needed I installed with "yum install foo" or "yum install andyPhotoFuzzifier".

It mostly comes down to what you are used to though - all the distros put stuff in different places. I happen to know all the redhat config directory structures inside out, and like working with RPM and yum, so Core works best for me. Feel free to IM or email me if I can help at all with getting your setup running.
fiid
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 5 2004, 09:04 PM)
freeBSD is still free ...

wink.gif Andy

NetBSD and OpenBSD are free too.

There is a rumour that Oracle for Linux is quicker under Linux emulation on FreeBSD than it is on linux. I think that was prior to linux 2.4 though.
sechszylinder
hilow,

I'm running RH 9.0 which I upgraded to the newest 2.6 kernel. very stable, but you have to install
most of the software from different sources (in my opinion the best way to have an up to date system).

Fedora is based on the latest rh distibution, features the latest kernel and is free of charge ...

As you might guess , i hate the suse distributions ...

Benno

greetings from old europe smilie_flagge6.gif
anthony
a technical desktop in an engineering firm

How about a dual 2.5ghz Apple G5? I love OSX. It's easy to administer and provides all the benefits of BSD unix.
914werke
Red Hat or SUSE?

SUSE smilie_pokal.gif
Hi_Fi_Guy
Another vote for Mac OS X. The best Linux box you can share with non Linux people too cool.gif
Steve Thacker
I'm a SuSE guy. Redhat just didn't cut it for me
Brando
Fedora Core 2 and Red Hat 9 tickle my fancy.
Root_Werks
Suse, but it has been a while.
airsix
Another vote for SuSE. I hate RH. My two favorites are Debian (and Debain derivatives) and SuSE. Don't think I'd deploy raw Debian on desktops (but use it exclusively on servers). For desktop deployment I wouldn't hesitate at all to use SuSE.

-Ben M.
kafermeister
I've got two Fedora Core1 machines. One is dual boot Win98/Core1. Both were upgraded to Core1 from either RH9 or RH8. No problems. Everything works that worked before. Yum rocks.

.....although I'm a closet Suse fan. I like the interface but I don't have any seat time with it.

If you like the RH stuff, Fedora will be a nice fit.

Rick
froggie
SuSE
I think they give a lot more for the money. Support is good. Updates easy. Windows runs well in VMware except for sound.
bryanthompson
I've been using Redhat 9 forever and just moved to Fedora 2.

To save yourself from package dependency HELL, download apt and synaptic right away. it's the best way to keep all of your packages up-to-date and friendly with each other.

Happy Linux'n rocking nana.gif
If you haven't used linux before... just stick with it. If you dual boot and think you'll end up breaking away from windows eventually, you probably won't. The only way to do it, imho, is to just format your windows drive and never look back. Try to keep yourself from thinking, "damn this was a ton easier to do in windows." At first it's hard as heck to make the switch, but you'll be glad in the end. That... or just get an Apple and never worry again smile.gif
sechszylinder
QUOTE(bryanthompson @ Oct 7 2004, 01:51 PM)
The only way to do it, imho, is to just format your windows drive and never look back.

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
yeesssss sir !!!
agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
Qarl
I just downloaded the Fedora Core 2.6.1

Just google Fedora and Linux and click the first link you find.

I was able to burn the entire install disc on to a DVD (4.0 GB) and loaded from there.

First impression is that I like it a lot.

I tried SUSE a week or so ago and I like the Fedora better.

Regards,

Karl
TimT
I have Suse linux, still learning it

so Linux geeks, I need to set the refresh for my monitor at 60Hz, but the monitor options in hardware set up only has 76 Hz... I guess I need a new driver for the monitor where to get? pray.gif
ematulac
Another vote for SuSE. It's as painless as it gets.

Another alternative is Mandrake, although I haven't tried anything newer than 9.1. Both distros are pretty easy on the admins.

OS X also looks like a very nice alternative, but you'd need to replace your hardware as well if you wanted to go that route.

I use Gentoo for my own machine, but I wouldn't recommend it unless all your workstations have the same exact hardware specs.

TimT. - don't know the answer off the top of my head, but do a search on http://www.linuxquestions.org and you might be able to find your answer. SuSE also has its own forums at http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de.
914forme
OSX - been running it since Beta X came out, keeps getting better and better. Server version and desktop are rock stable. FreeBSD or Suse if you have to run on an Intel platform. Matter of fact I have a Compaq iPaq that runs Linux http://www.ipaqlinux.com/

But hey if all of you get off the Microsoft platform - I won't be able to charge what I charge to fix all them windoz problems, DOAH!

Microsoft pays the bills and keeps food on the table, Macs and OSX keep me sane here at home.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.