Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gotti Wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal
Finally, finally found someone with the size rims I needed for the rear (5" outer / 6" inner) who wanted to trade for ones I had.

I had the new ones stripped at the chrome shop to remove all the excess chrome that someone had applied...not very well.

To make a long story short I then bead blasted the wheels and decided to throw a coat of matt clear on them.

Think I might just blast the Gotti center, put the wheels back together and run them that way for a bit.

Polishing is veerrry expensive.

Click to view attachment
J P Stein
Not if you DIY, biggrin.gif
A Rube Goldberg device I whipped up to do just that. biggrin.gif
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Apr 19 2012, 06:27 PM) *

Yea, send that polisher set up down to me. smile.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE(Randal @ Apr 19 2012, 07:40 PM) *

Alas it's histroy.....part of my 914 downsizeing. Still have my buffer tho....that's a keeper.
Mr. 5150
Talk to someone at your nearest truck stop they will point you in the right direction for cheap polishing that is nicer than most professional shops.
Randal
QUOTE(Mr. 5150 @ Apr 19 2012, 08:02 PM) *

Talk to someone at your nearest truck stop they will point you in the right direction for cheap polishing that is nicer than most professional shops.

Thanks. biggrin.gif
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Apr 19 2012, 07:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Apr 19 2012, 07:40 PM) *

Alas it's histroy.....part of my 914 downsizeing. Still have my buffer tho....that's a keeper.

So the wheel just went round and round and you used a normal buffer?
J P Stein
Ayup.....various grades of wet/dry & buff with various grades of compound.......
it's a messy job. The drill is variable speed. The only thing I had to buy for it was the V belt.....the swiveling bar stool was a freebie, a couple of old 9eleben rear brake rotors, shake well &.......all CSOB activity for slow times. biggrin.gif
J P Stein
Time to put some big meats on the back?
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Apr 20 2012, 09:20 AM) *

Time to put some big meats on the back?

The plan is 11" slicks on the back on 11" rims and 8.5" slicks on the front on 8" rims.

That balance works out correctly math wise based upon the corner balanced weights.

Options are Avons in the soft compound, which would work well at the Marina. And of course no nose bleed on changing suspension settings.

The other option is A6's, where these same wheel sizes would work. 225's in front and 275's in back. Would have to change all the suspension settings to get the A6's in their sweet spot camber wise.

No clue which tire would be faster. sad.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE(Randal @ Apr 20 2012, 10:02 AM) *

Me too either. blink.gif
The A6s prolly last longer.

Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Apr 20 2012, 03:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Apr 20 2012, 10:02 AM) *

Me too either. blink.gif
The A6s prolly last longer.

No question the A6's will last longer, but the Avon's might be perfect for the Marina.

Oh, take a look at the center I bead blasted today. The aluminum was kind of funky, so decided to go ahead and try blasting it as well.

Bill Charron suggested I paint the center the same color as the flares, i.e., midnight blue.. Might be nice.

Click to view attachment

koozy
I like the matte grey look but the blue might set it off nicely. You showing up next weekend to lay waste to all 914s in the dunes? You have tires for those wheels yet?
Randal
QUOTE(koozy @ Apr 22 2012, 09:21 AM) *

I like the matte grey look but the blue might set it off nicely. You showing up next weekend to lay waste to all 914s in the dunes? You have tires for those wheels yet?

Ha, your safe for now Mike. Avons are only $1,600 a set. Ouch.

I'm thinking 11" slicks on the back will be difficult to heat up at the Marina. Maybe I'll go with about the same tread width on the back and try that first. I can always swap the backs to the the front if I find the fronts, in the soft Avon compound, heat up well and decide to go for the mongo tire in back.

Changing plugs and oil today, how about you and that big nice sounding 6? I'll be down at the Marina for both events, but will probably only run one session. Trying to get Mr. Pickering to co-drive.
koozy
Oh man, you and Mr. Bill in 222 both days? I'm in trouble. I took the car to Bill C.'s house for alignment and corner balance yesterday where Larry and Dave were already there working on Larry's 914-6 3.0 which I call "The Wasp" (yellow and black). Larry will be co-driving my car so look out. He is about 3 seconds faster than me at any given moment. We are gonna have fun. Can't wait to race with you and Bill again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.