Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fan housing differences 1.8-2.0L?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stugray
I have two fan shrouds:
022 119 199 A
and a
022 119 199 D

I see minor differences in some of the mounting holes for various things.
Are they interchangeable between a 1.8L and 2.0L?

This is for a 2.0L carbed racecar, so most of the "stuff" that bolts to the fan shroud will not be there anyway.

I have pics if that helps.

Stu
stugray
^ no-one?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(stugray @ Apr 19 2012, 09:16 PM) *

I see minor differences in some of the mounting holes for various things.
Are they interchangeable between a 1.8L and 2.0L?

Pretty well your answer, only minor differences, assuming they are are both 914 housings. Bus shrouds are the same, except the 914 timing hole is not cut.
type47
There are a couple of different part numbers for the housing in the PET 115-00 (see link in my signature for the PET); see if that helps. It does indicate that a 022.xxx.xxx housing is for a W code engine which is an early 1.7.
jim_hoyland
popcorn[1].gif I'd like to know too; Picked up a replacement fan shroud and had it powdercoated. I planned to swap it out next time the engine came out.... smile.gif
Don't have the part number handy, but my car is a '75 1.8
jrrhdmust
Guys I will check this weekend and see what I find out. I have both a 1.8 and 2.0 engines sitting in my garage. I have the fan housings pulled off to clean them. I can tell you that from handling them while cleaning them, I didn't notice any differences. I can lay them on top of each other and see if I can see any differences. Unless, I see something, I don't plan on measuring the exact locations of the holes.
Dave_Darling
They are interchangeable. There will be a few differences here and there (e.g., some shrouds have a fitting for the evap canister hose and some don't) but you can work around those very easily.

--DD
914werke
Dont forget there are shrouds that have significant different /additional mounting bosses.
Late (75-76) shrouds 1.8 & 2.0L have a different casting to allow for the mounting of the Air pump.
jrrhdmust
Click to view attachmentOk so I checked and matched up mine. I am not the original owner of these engines. With that said the 74 2.0 and 74 1.8 fan enclosures I have match up exactly. They even both have the same part number, although on the outside piece of the 1.8 there is a "5" by the VW, and the 2.0 has a 4.

Here are the pics. The dark outside one is from the 1.8 and the nasty inside piece is from the 1.8. The two pretty silver ones are from the 2.0.
McMark
agree.gif minor differences.

Late fan housing with air-pump mounts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.