Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New find - 2 Rare 914 Docs! 914S and Preventing Water Leaks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
Hugh sent these two rare documents to me...I have never seen nor heard of them before this. Find them as Rare Doc 5 and 6, on the Rare Documents page, under the links on my Classic 914 website:

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/RareDocs.htm

One appears to be an internal document of the 1973 changes and modifications list...describing the 914S! Must be an early document, before the 914S designation was yanked.

The other is a factory document that seems to pertain to about the first 5000 1970 914s/914-6's and how to remedy water leaks. They apparently recognized the problem after ~5000 cars built and changed production methods after the indicated VINs in the document. This is not a Recall Campaign document...so not sure if/how the recommendations were implemented. If you have one of these earliest of 914s, maybe your car was never repaired?
Tom_T
Interesting find Jeff!

The 73 MY changes looks to be for the USA Porsche+Audi &/or VoA, being that it's in English using USA measures & the "914S" was only used in the USA & Canada advertizing & dealer brochures/etc. AFAIK.
GeorgeRud
Thanks for posting this, it may certainly help us find and correct some leaks. I never thought about the negative pressure created at speed, but that certainly would make sense the more I think about it.

I guess this tells us to keep the top off and drive on sunny days!
IronHillRestorations
Preventing water leaks in a 914.......yea sure!
markb
QUOTE(9146986 @ Apr 20 2012, 05:50 PM) *

agree.gif laugh.gif
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(markb @ Apr 20 2012, 05:56 PM) *

QUOTE(9146986 @ Apr 20 2012, 05:50 PM) *

agree.gif laugh.gif

I thought you prevented water leaks by using a garage.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Looking at the scope of the many and varied remedies, and realizing that those early cars were either never "remedied", or if so, were probably done in a a half-hearted, half-assed manner, it shouldn't surprise that so many low VIN examples either didn't survive or became riddled with rust if they lasted this long. Add the road salt factor to the mix for midwest and eastern regions and it amazes me that we have as many early cars left as we do.

Paul
campbellcj
My 914 doesn't have any water in it. I don't get it. wink.gif
Gustl
cool stuff - thanks for sharing aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.