Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best tire for the buck & size once flared?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
So besides the poll. What tires do you use for street driving with a little autoX mixed in? Looking for a good tire that is reasonable price wise also? Also more insight on tire sizes with flares are appreciated biggrin.gif
BIGKAT_83
Best buy.....
Hankook ventus R-S3
225/45/17 and 255/40/17
carr914
My Choice on Tires - Sumitoma HTRZ All the rest of their tires suck, but the HTRZ is great & Super Cheap in 17"s

although my Rota's currently have another Brand of Tire in 255

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Andyrew
On my Audi, I am STILL running bridgestone RE01R's, which are now the RE11's. those are AMAZING tires.. I have between 10-15k miles on them and PLENTY of track time and they are still way over 2/3'rd. They stick SO GOOD. 1.04 on the skidpad continuous? Yes please!

On the 914 Im using a Sumitoto HTR Z2 in the rear and have been impressed with the traction. It takes quite a bit to break the tires loose on the street and they are pretty quiet. They are a good cheap street tire, but if you want to be competitive or be quick at an autox you need to spend the money on some GOOD tires.
JRust
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 21 2012, 09:15 AM) *

On the 914 Im using a Sumitoto HTR Z2 in the rear and have been impressed with the traction. It takes quite a bit to break the tires loose on the street and they are pretty quiet. They are a good cheap street tire, but if you want to be competitive or be quick at an autox you need to spend the money on some GOOD tires.

I'm not to worried about being competitive at the autoX. I do maybe one or 2 a year for fun. While I am not opposed to kicking a buddies butt. I just enjoy getting my time better through the day. I don't have the time to worry about points or doing more autox. I don't see myself doing a whole season. It is fun but tough for me to get to more than a few. Alot of them are setup on Sunday's up here. Thats my family day & I don't make car plans on Sundays. Except the occasional bigger weekend event like WCR.

On the tires are you getting them local or Tire Rack?
JRust
QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 21 2012, 04:43 AM) *

My Choice on Tires - Sumitoma HTRZ All the rest of their tires suck, but the HTRZ is great & Super Cheap in 17"s

Thanks so much for posting pics of your Rota's on your flared blue car. Which color blue is that? I will be repainting mine once the flares are on. I am either doing Phoenix Red or some shade of blue. It's original color is L50E Adriatic Blue but I don't love that color. Considering the Alaska Blue Metallic but would really like something a little darker. Not so dark it looks black though confused24.gif
Andyrew
Tire rack is where i got mine. received the next day. Also look at discounttiredirect.com
DBCooper
I'm very happy with the Kumho Ecsta XS, especially for the price (you said "best for the buck"), but I bought them mainly because the 215's fit under my fenders and I couldn't get the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec in the size I wanted. I've heard a lot of good things about the Dunlops, I'd suggest you give them a good look.
JRust
Anyone have experience with Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110? Checking out the ratings between the Hankook ventus R-S3 & the Sumitoto HTR Z2. It had better ratings accross the board but the tread life was a little better. The Sumitoto had bad ratings in the water. We do tend to get a fair amount of rain up here. The v12 is a little more but very reasonable still.

One other question is why the smaller tire in the rear? Why 40's in back & 45's in front?
matthepcat
What are your wheel offsets? Standard flair sizes?
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 21 2012, 08:44 PM) *

One other question is why the smaller tire in the rear? Why 40's in back & 45's in front?

40 and 45 are the "aspect ratio" of the tire. 215/225/255/265 etc are the section width. To get the sidewall height, multiply section width x aspect ratio/100.

For example:
255/40/17 sidewall height is 255*.40=102.00mm
225/45/17 sidewall height is 225*.45=101.25mm

The "45"s are actually smaller in diameter, because they are also smaller in section width.
JRust
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Apr 21 2012, 09:10 PM) *

What are your wheel offsets? Standard flair sizes?

Yes the standard AA repro GT flares. I am not entirely sure of the offset for the Rota's. I haven't heard of spacers being necesary with them. I'll have to get them out & measure them I guess. I didn't have luck googling the offset

Hey Todd that makes sense. I forget how the tires measurements go. Thanks for the reminder
matthepcat
Found offsets here:
http://www.wheeldude.com/catalog/index.php...7e63041ec891ab5

Fronts +35mm
Rears +16mm

That is about the same as my wheels. I have larger than standard flairs and run 245/45/17 in front and 275/40/17 in the rear. I have spacers to push them out even further even though there was room on the inside. With standard flairs you could probably make it up to 255/40 rear and 235/40 front.
Mike Bellis
Jamie, I have a set (2) of 225/?/17 that came off the front of my 911 I'll give you. You just have to come get them. Still lots of tread. I bought 4 new tires and these were so nice I coudn't throw them out. I'll look in the morning and get all the info off them.
carr914
QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 21 2012, 01:14 PM) *

Thanks so much for posting pics of your Rota's on your flared blue car. Which color blue is that? I will be repainting mine once the flares are on. I am either doing Phoenix Red or some shade of blue. It's original color is L50E Adriatic Blue but I don't love that color. Considering the Alaska Blue Metallic but would really like something a little darker. Not so dark it looks black though confused24.gif

Close to Ancona Blue

If you don't work the AA Flares your Rotas with 245 are going to be close

Click to view attachment
JRust
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Apr 21 2012, 11:02 PM) *

Jamie, I have a set (2) of 225/?/17 that came off the front of my 911 I'll give you. You just have to come get them. Still lots of tread. I bought 4 new tires and these were so nice I coudn't throw them out. I'll look in the morning and get all the info off them.

I don't think I will be down your way anytime soon. I appreciate the offer though biggrin.gif . I thought about trying to make a midnight run down after I get my girls off to prom friday. Then being there for WCR saturday & sunday. Odds are against it though
JRust
I just bought the Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110. Not quite as sticky as the r-3 but better tread life & rating in the rain. Pretty dang cheaply too. $602 installed for my 225/45/17 fronts & 255/40/17 rears. I've got a great local tire guy. Charges me $10 to mount & balance a wheel. Plus he's an AutoXer so he's cool to shoot the breeze with. Just hoping my tires get here this week evilgrin.gif
Justinp71

Where do you get those 17" fuchs?
carr914
They're not Fuch's, they are Rota-Foxes
Andyrew
QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 23 2012, 01:00 PM) *

I just bought the Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110. Not quite as sticky as the r-3 but better tread life & rating in the rain. Pretty dang cheaply too. $602 installed for my 225/45/17 fronts & 255/40/17 rears. I've got a great local tire guy. Charges me $10 to mount & balance a wheel. Plus he's an AutoXer so he's cool to shoot the breeze with. Just hoping my tires get here this week evilgrin.gif

Good stuff! I just ordered some R-3's for the front of my car smile.gif
andys
Will those 255/40/17's fit under the AA steel flare? My fiberglass flares are a just slightly wider than the steel, and my 255/40/17's barely fit. I'm looking at those Hankook's as well as Sumitomo's, though I haven't read anything about the latter.

Andys
falconfp2001

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

That car looks like your in a Rally dude
Steve
QUOTE(andys @ Apr 23 2012, 07:37 PM) *

Will those 255/40/17's fit under the AA steel flare? My fiberglass flares are a just slightly wider than the steel, and my 255/40/17's barely fit. I'm looking at those Hankook's as well as Sumitomo's, though I haven't read anything about the latter.

Andys

I was able to fit 255x40x17 in the rear with my AA flairs, but beware some tires like my current PS2's have a rib that sticks out for curb rash. I had to downsize to 245 to prevent them from rubbing. The Kumho's didn't have the rib and fit fine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.