Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Trunk Cut Out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdwardBlume
Respectfully, is this a dangerous hack job totally compromising the structure of the car?
EdwardBlume
More pictures...
JoeSharp
Are you going to get rear-ended on the street? Pertty much what I did to Carerror. I put in a cross brace between the shock towers and back to the dog bone on top of the tranny pick-up points. The build thread is in the Garage, over on NARP under the title Carerror. Let me see if I can find the picture.

Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Apr 21 2012, 06:35 AM) *

Are you going to get rear-ended on the street? Pertty much what I did to Carerror. I put in a cross brace between the shock towers and back to the dog bone on top of the tranny pick-up points. The build thread is in the Garage, over on NARP under the title Carerror. Let me see if I can find the picture.

Click to view attachment

Thanks. Not a street car. No windshield.
Mike Bellis
Looks like easy access. It's a race car, so fuch it!
McMark
Pretty common modification. Very little (if any) structural effect on the chassis, IMHO.
Randal
The two important structural areas on a 914 in the rear are the shock towers and the transmission cross member.

You can lose the entire floor and the transmission cross member will pretty much stand on it's own.

The shock towers however, to remain solid need to be tied into the roll cage. You can run without them being tied in, but the suspension settings get compromised under load IMHO.

BTW Mark did my trunk and did a great job.

In fact the idea to do your trunk came from Mark's work. idea.gif

Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
Thanks Randal. Great picture. I had a buyer for the race car last night, who had reservations about the rear trunk structurally with the floors gone.

I've seen this modification so many times on race cars that it kind of surprised me.

I would love to collect more experience and pictures to surface any real issue.

Thanks again.
SirAndy
QUOTE(RobW @ Apr 21 2012, 10:25 AM) *
I had a buyer for the race car last night, who had reservations about the rear trunk structurally with the floors gone.

I've seen this modification so many times on race cars that it kind of surprised me.

Most racecars i have seen have at least additional bracing going down from the shock towers to the rear transmission mount crossbeam.
That ties in and triangulates the tranny mounts with the rest of the chassis.

It also takes care of any potential structural issues in that area.
popcorn[1].gif
Randal
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 21 2012, 11:04 AM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ Apr 21 2012, 10:25 AM) *
I had a buyer for the race car last night, who had reservations about the rear trunk structurally with the floors gone.

Most racecars i have seen have at least additional bracing going down from the shock towers to the rear transmission mount crossbeam.
That ties in and triangulates the tranny mounts with the rest of the chassis.

It also takes care of any potential structural issues in that area.
popcorn[1].gif

Yup, good idea.

I'd done it as well, but didn't want to add the additional weight. On the other hand did run bars from the front shock towers to the top of the torsion mountings in front.
jimkelly
i wonder if this negatively effects aerodynamics of the cars at higher speeds.

want to keep the rear down.

jim
McMark
Jim, keep air from getting under the car in the first place. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.