Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Breather Vent Setup
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LotusJoe
I'm looking at different options for the breather setup for my engine. I found several canisters. What have others done?

There is the Berg Breather
Click to view attachment

Several from EMPI
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

And one offered by CB Performance
Click to view attachment

I also have a small oil leak at the pressure relief screw next to the oil cooler. I can't seem to get it tight enough. It's been beat up over the years. It's the big plug with a screw driver slot. I found this replacement for type 1s. Will this fit?
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
tomeric914
Don't use the EMPI or CB style breather unless you just drive it on the street. For track or AX use, get a catch can with a breather vent otherwise, you'll be cleaning up a nice oil mess.

Tangerine Racing has a solution all worked out for you (http://www.tangerineracing.com/engine.htm#...0Breather%20Can)

...or you can got to Summit, Jegs, etc. and build your own.

...or just use an old Porsche windshield washer bottle.
wingnut86
There was an extended thread, again, on breathers a couple of months ago. I don't want to see this end up as a battle like that one, so do a search to find it.

I agree with the Berg choice for simplicity as well, and Chris at Tangerine has a slick one as well.

Maybe Cap'n, Jake or Chris can chime in on the pressure screw - I just pull one from a shot block when I need one...
McMark
You probably don't need to replace the 'screwdriver plug'. Just pull it out completely, get a new crush washer for it and add some Loctite 565. Also check for wear on your piston. There shouldn't be a ton of oil pressure there, so it should be a big leak.
wingnut86
Also, if you are handy with tools, you can buy an aluminum paint spraying cup from a local car paint store and use it as your breather.

Drill 2 holes in either side and mount some nipples that bolt from the inside, seal the through holes with Loctite or high grade black RTV. The bottom hole is already there, just a bit oversized - easily remedied with parts found at most local NAPA's, Autozone's, O'Reilly's, etc. You can make a mount from a large metal clamp and secure it to the firewall, stainless zip ties from HF work too .

Believe it or not, I've seen a few custom units like this - no welding required, and aren't as ugly as they sound, just make sure the sealer you use on the nipples is rated for high heat and petrochems.

Good luck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.