Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 shift kits
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TomR
Hi, I've got a '73 914. The tranny shift ok, but like most 901s it's pretty vague; especially between 3rd & 4th. Sometimes between 5th & 4th in hard cornering. I've read quite few reviews about rennshift, wevo & some other shift kits. Reviews seem mostly positive but mixed. Same for Fabcar shifters. I recently saw a website for hargett precision shifters. They are more 911 oriented it seems, but work with 901 tranny. Anyone have any experience with them? Or any other ideas to reduce the sloppiness of the 901? I've already done all the bushings, & had the tranny refreshed with new synchros.
Thx Tom
Haudiosolutions
"Under hard cornering" Have you replaced your mounts? I've read worn mounts can be the cause of some slop. Gonna replace mine soon since I've had them laying around for a while. No expert, just what I've read.
Derrick
Randal
QUOTE(TomR @ Apr 21 2012, 06:30 PM) *

Hi, I've got a '73 914. The tranny shift ok, but like most 901s it's pretty vague; especially between 3rd & 4th. Sometimes between 5th & 4th in hard cornering. I've read quite few reviews about rennshift, wevo & some other shift kits. Reviews seem mostly positive but mixed. Same for Fabcar shifters. I recently saw a website for hargett precision shifters. They are more 911 oriented it seems, but work with 901 tranny. Anyone have any experience with them? Or any other ideas to reduce the sloppiness of the 901? I've already done all the bushings, & had the tranny refreshed with new synchros.
Thx Tom

I'm running a hybrid, i.e., RennShift in front and Chris Foley's kit in the back. Shifting is finally sorted out and the venues we run will test every weak link.
Randal
QUOTE(Haudiosolutions @ Apr 21 2012, 06:36 PM) *

"Under hard cornering" Have you replaced your mounts? I've read worn mounts can be the cause of some slop. Gonna replace mine soon since I've had them laying around for a while. No expert, just what I've read.
Derrick

+1

Hopefully he is running solid mounts. If not suggest he change to them. Tried sport mounts both on the engine bar and transmission mounts, but have switched back to solid with good results.
TomR
QUOTE(Randal @ Apr 21 2012, 05:51 PM) *

QUOTE(Haudiosolutions @ Apr 21 2012, 06:36 PM) *

Derrick

+1

Hopefully he is running solid mounts. If not suggest he change to them. Tried sport mounts both on the engine bar and transmission mounts, but have switched back to solid with good results.

I did replace mounts. Have solid mounts on engine bar & wevo racing mounts on tranny. Were kits easy to install? I know rennshift sys no mods are needed for installation, but sometimes manufacturers are overly optimistic. Foley's kit looks interesting; looks like stock with u-joints. Did you do one mod at a time or both at the same time? Which do you think had biggest impact?
Mike Bellis
Have you replaced all the shift bushings? The 901 shifts pretty well for a 40+ year old design if all the bushings are new. Go for the bronze over plastic.

The shift quality should not change just because you are cornering. The renn shifter will reduce the throw but will not compensate for bad bushings.

I want Dr Evil to create better shift forks. Most of the slop on the 901 is inside the tranny. (if bushings are new and everything adjusted properly) Maybe you could braze extra material on to the forks and machine them for tighter tollerence idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.