Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Radio antenna...love it or leave it?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Type 47
I'm disassembling and sand blasting the chassis...should I delete the radio antenna when I do the finishing body work?
tod914
If you can weld up the hole, go for it. Great place for water to sit.
Mr.242
I filled mine.
McMark
Delete it. If you need radio, get Pandora on your smartphone.
euro911
I guess I'll be the turd in the punch bowl. I say keep it if you use the radio confused24.gif
I listen to local AM & FM stations from time-to- time, so I have an antenna.
timothy_nd28
I just bondo'd mine over yesterday. I figured if I really needed it, I could push my thumb thru the hole.
Mike Bellis
I'm welding mine up when ever I get around to body and paint work. There are other antenna options out there these days. No need for one on the fender anymore. BTW, I always use my ipod or satellite radio. So really no need for the antenna.
Spoke
Welded over mine, also the little hole in the inner wheel well for the antenna wire.
Black914_4
wow. I figured everyone would say keep it orginal.
I'm doing body work and paint right now. Planned on keeping mine.
1973-914-2L
QUOTE(tim_nd @ Apr 21 2012, 10:07 PM) *

I just bondo'd mine over yesterday. I figured if I really needed it, I could push my thumb thru the hole.

If you want to do it do it right ..

This idea not the best ^^^

Welded mine up a week ago ....

Cairo94507
Wow, funny that this thread popped up now. Just yesterday my brother was helping me get my car ready to ship to Scotty B in VA and I told him I thought I should keep the radio antenna. He said, "Get rid of it; looks like crap is just another place for water to collect. If you really need an antenna run one of the new hidden antennas." I said, "You're right. I will have the antenna hole welded up."

Oh, my car is not ready to ship yet but it is getting closer. Hopefully May will see it traversing the country to begin its restoration.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(2xs performance @ Apr 22 2012, 06:13 AM) *

"Original" is without antenna. The Dealers installed them without any real consistancy. Right side. Left side. Whatever... sad.gif
ruby914
Welded both of mine.
The ruby car is mounted to the Wink mirror.
This is a photo of the other car.
Last trip to Pep Boys I was looking for windshield antenna but no luck there.
They can be found online.
Black914_4
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Apr 22 2012, 11:23 AM) *

"Original" is without antenna. The Dealers installed them without any real consistancy. Right side. Left side. Whatever... sad.gif

blink.gif didn't know that. Thats wierd. Did they come with radios or was that dealer installed also?

Guess I'll let my body guy know to delete it. Didn't really like the way it looked, only kept it to try and stay "orginal".

Thanks
Matt
Black914_4
No offense but that doesn't really look very good. (post 14) IMHO I'd stick it under/inside the dash were it's not seen.

QUOTE(ruby914 @ Apr 22 2012, 12:47 PM) *

Welded both of mine.
TheCabinetmaker
I just installed an electric antenna, but when my car goes to paint it will be deleted and i'll go with the mr gasket (or similar) hidden antenna
ruby914
QUOTE(2xs performance @ Apr 22 2012, 08:56 AM) *

No offense but that doesn't really look very good. (post 14) IMHO I'd stick it under/inside the dash were it's not seen.

QUOTE(ruby914 @ Apr 22 2012, 12:47 PM) *

Welded both of mine.

No offense taken. On the Wink mirror its not so bad looking but the car is covered.
This one is hacked and not even safe for a passenger. For that matter I don't even like bumping my head on the Wink mirror. That was the reason for looking for the windshield antennas. Point was, You don't need it out side of the car.
Haudiosolutions
There are many hidden antennas on the market. shopping for one now actually.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(2xs performance @ Apr 22 2012, 08:52 AM) *

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Apr 22 2012, 11:23 AM) *

blink.gif didn't know that. Thats wierd. Did they come with radios or was that dealer installed also?

Guess I'll let my body guy know to delete it. Didn't really like the way it looked, only kept it to try and stay "orginal".

Thanks
Matt

IIRC, the 914-6 had a radio as an option. 914-4 did not, dealer installed.
struckn
I never turn my radio on...can't here it when the engine is running and there is no engine off accessory position on the ignition key so can't turn it on unless motor's running. Don't miss it so if I it wasn't already installed I be happy with out it. But,
not needing a repaint or wanting a whole in the dash I'm keeping it for only that reason.
Katmanken
I say leave it if you want decent radio reception and/ or you want to look period correct. Back in the days when 914's were plentiful and guys were using them to pick up chicks, radio and 8-track was all you had.

Mounting antennas in dashes really shields the antenna from any reception. To get NO reception, place the antenna in a metal box such as the front trunk (aka Faraday cage).

Mounting radio antennas in windshields does expose the antenna , but not as good as the whip antenna. A stick- on windshield antenna may be a good compromise.

Ian Stott
I had mine welded up when I deleted the side markers and had those holes welded up, I think the car looks "cleaner " like that. I think it is a matter of what you want your car to look like. As far as needing an external antennae, I don't think you do, they have very good alternatives these days, I use an i pod.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
mepstein
It's as easy as 1,2,3 biggrin.gif
Type 47
This thread really seals the deal...and now the antenna hole.

radio tech is super today, but i don't really care much about the radio in the 914. I would prefer to find a period correct radio to put in it,if I needed a real radio there are many hidden opions out there.

it's not like the 914 is my daily driver (or only car like from 1977-88)

I didn't know the radio's were dealer installed...I checked the pics of my old 914's and found 2 had them in the passenger fentder, my 1st one had it in the pass front cowl, 3 were in the the drivers fender, and 1 did not have one. (in the cowl??? what were they thinking...or smoking?)
timothy_nd28
QUOTE(1973-914-2L @ Apr 22 2012, 05:27 AM) *

QUOTE(tim_nd @ Apr 21 2012, 10:07 PM) *

If you want to do it do it right ..

This idea not the best ^^^

Welded mine up a week ago ....

I used extra hardner in the Bondo! It'll be fine!
Katmanken
Mmmmm....Bondo-

It's porous like a sponge. Satisfaction guaranteed or double your hole size back.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.