Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parting Out the Pirate Ship
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
EdwardBlume
I have the Pirate Ship for sale. Its fully sorted running awesome and ready to run.

I don't think I'm asking too much, but I'm getting inquiries about people just wanting the motor..

I HATE the idea of parting it out, but what do /6 headers, /6 exhaust, oil tank, transmission with LSD and MSX gears, Jongbloed wheels, rennshift, rennshifter, FG hoods, FG bumpers, 911 suspension, Kirkey seats, front oil cooler, 6 mount, 51K mi race car chassis.. etc part out for each?

What is the 2.5 L motor worth with Mahle p&c's, 40 IDAs, Twin Dist, Twin MSD...

Its really not about the money, but the market seems soft for race cars, and I'm not using it as I had hoped...

Thanks,
Rob

Trekkor
Do not part it out.

Be patient or keep it.
The parts to build that motor are worth $8k alone.
Now pay someone to assemble it!

Give it a couple months...

KT
bam914
You can sometimes get more money out of a race car by parting it out. I hate doing it but that is how I have sold the last 3 cars I have had. An example was my GP Honda CRX. I tried selling it for $6500.00 The transmission was a custom built straight cut gear one. It cost me $5500.00 by itself. When I was all done parting it out I got $12,500. But I can also tell you that 914 parts are not bringing what they use to.
Randal
Keep it Rob.

Get a car cover, put it in the corner of the garage and one of these days your going to be happy you have it.

Or if you need room in the garage, get a four post lift and put it on the top.

Put a trickle charger on it and start it once a month.

You'll be much HAPPIER if you keep it. biggrin.gif

It would be so much fun having you run a few hillclimbs or one of the Medford Enduros.
koozy
I agree about keeping it will make you happy down the road but what is important is your happiness right now. Down the road is just that... I think the key to keeping it and not having a boat anchor in the engine bay in a couple years is running it often enough to chase crapage out of all the small passages in the engine. Just running it for a few minutes every couple of months won't cut it. Pretty easy to plug up cam oilers and hose the thing. Then, ya open it up which brings the fun factor way down.

That said, conversion parts are easier to sell than headlight motors but the return in this market is kinda low. You will still get good money for the motor but a race car trans is a hard sell. If ya gotta get rid of it then parting it out will always get ya more money. The key is how much time you have on yer hands to do the work.

Wait a couple of months. The valley is about to get a few hundred more millionaires and a couple billionaires so there will be some money flying around. That typically bodes well for toy sales.
grantsfo
I was looking at another $25K to get that car to where I wanted it and thats hoping I didnt break anything in the process. Then I had a race car sitting in very damp area under a cover. I could just see the ticking money bomb in my yard. I pretty much dumped it at a loss when I had it - it was a great deal then and great deal now for entry level car. At least Rob isnt too far underwater with it and he has a dry place to store it. Fortunately it was a nice car to start with and I sold lots of the good parts to fund my race car build. I can understand where Rob is with the car given his family obligations and he has another 914!

I regret chopping that one up but it was quickest way to a fast car at that point. If I had it to do over I would have kept it a street car and just put a bigger motor in it. hacking chassis up in 914's takes huge amount of resale value out of them.
McMark
Are you bringing it to Marina? Maybe you need to dust off the cobwebs and have some fun with it.

The answer is Yes! hide.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 23 2012, 09:02 PM) *

Are you bringing it to Marina? Maybe you need to dust off the cobwebs and have some fun with it.

The answer is Yes! hide.gif

What day are people racing? driving-girl.gif
koozy
Saturday and Sunday. Should be lots of 914s out there. It would be great to see you out there
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(koozy @ Apr 23 2012, 10:58 PM) *

Saturday and Sunday. Should be lots of 914s out there. It would be great to see you out there

Thanks. There is a picture on the track at LS planned for Sat 5ish. Kinda like to have Dad's car at the group pict, or perhaps the pirate ship as well.

I need a 2 car trailer. headbang.gif
carr914
Patience Grasspirate,

These things sometimes take a little while. It's getting publicity, so let it take it's course.

When I put the GT up For Sale, it was about 2 Months before the "Right" Buyer came along
EdwardBlume
How hard is it to put a windshield back on? idea.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(RobW @ Apr 25 2012, 02:18 PM) *

or - can it be street legal as is?
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 25 2012, 03:00 PM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ Apr 25 2012, 02:18 PM) *

or - can it be street legal as is?

No. Not close to street legal, but it might be project worthy.

Grant - do you still have the windshield or the VIN tag?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.