Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Undoing the sins of the past. Jesu's is getting reborn
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
We have this nice little "66" Cal Look Beetle we call Jesu's. He got his name the first time we drove him and applied the brakes! yikes.gif JESUS!!!! laugh.gif

Anywho. A friend bought this car about 16+ years ago in California. It was rust free. I painted it for him (about 16+ years ago) When he bought it it had a sheet of aluminum bolted inplace of the dash face. the dash was cut out and there was no gauges. He asked me to fit a 914 gauge section into the dash. Against my better judgement I tacked a panel in place. My friend wired it up but never finished the work to blend it in and paint it.

The car sat year after year in a barn only getting started and moved about once a year. About 4 years ago my friend call me stating he was going to sell the car for cash for a sail boat and wanted to offer it to me first. How could I refuse. We never even talked price. I met him at the barn where he stored the car with my trailer. I paid him handsomely for the car and brought it home.

So 4 years later my oldest son decides he would like to drive the car as a get-away car for his wedding night. We started working on Jesu's to bring him back into full service. I accuired a parts car that happened to be the same bahama bleau color. It is a rusty hulk but has many good parts including the dash. I just couldn't leave the dash with that wart on it so Here's the result of todays effort. Were turning back the hands of time.

This is the way the dash was left for 14 years.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
We will finish up the dash, get it in paint (I still have paint from when I sprayed it for my friend) We have new carpet coming. I have a windsheild ( Jesu's' is cracked) and were installing a new headliner. We have 16 days before the wedding. unsure.gif unsure.gif
Mike Bellis
Very ambitious project for only 16 days.

Just have them postpone the wedding until you get the car done. biggrin.gif

Good luck! I'm sure you can pull it off if Foose can do it in 7 days. You just need 47 people working around the clock for free. Should be a piece of cake.
rick 918-S
Oh, I ran out of argon gas for my tig halfway through the welding. I hooked up the 75/25 Ar/CO2 from my mig welder. idea.gif It worked but it was really weird.

First the tig didn't even want to start an arc, Then when it did the arc was hot and not as clean after cooling. The arc puddle was wider than it is with 100 % Ar. I finished but I don't think I would want to use it again unless I had no choice. welder.gif
rick 918-S
Here's what happens when the Hackers crash our site.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Sandy and I changed the headliner too. Glass is back in.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
McMark
first.gif
FourBlades

Its the second coming of Jesu's!

Great work as always Rick.

John
76-914
That headliner is a bitch to do. I hate to admit it but that was one of two things that I farmed out on my Ghia. I tried but couldn't do it. Nice job, Rick.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 1 2012, 08:50 AM) *

That headliner is a bitch to do. I hate to admit it but that was one of two things that I farmed out on my Ghia. I tried but couldn't do it. Nice job, Rick.

By far the hardest headliner I ever did. I would not like to do another one. It's not perfect but either am I.
mepstein
I thought it was just my kids who wait until the last minute to ask me to do things. biggrin.gif
nomore9one4
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ May 1 2012, 06:53 AM) *

By far the hardest headliner I ever did. I would not like to do another one. It's not perfect but either am I.

The trick to the headliner is you need a good steamer. It make shaping much easier. although a heat gun on low heat works aswell, but can turn ugly if you leave it one place too long.. smile.gif nice job Rick and Wife
oldschool

Thats lol-2.gif ok Rick Jesus forgives you pray.gif
RickS
This thread is making me a believer that dashed miracles can happen.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(oldschool @ May 2 2012, 10:55 PM) *

Thats lol-2.gif ok Rick Jesus forgives you pray.gif

lol-2.gif unsure.gif
seanery
Nice work my alien friend!
porschefile2010
That's really nice Rick. Have you ever thought of a weeks holiday in New Zealand? -well, working holiday!
It's winter here but I could find you some interesting indoor activity on a rather sad 914.
abnrdo
Way cool!! Love the color!
rick 918-S
QUOTE(seanery @ May 14 2012, 11:54 PM) *

Nice work my alien friend!

Hey Sean! What are you doing these days and where in the world are you? We need an update once in awhile. bye1.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(porschefile2010 @ May 15 2012, 04:11 AM) *

That's really nice Rick. Have you ever thought of a weeks holiday in New Zealand? -well, working holiday!
It's winter here but I could find you some interesting indoor activity on a rather sad 914.

A very good friend and his dad live a few blocks from me. They are from New Zealand. They were just back there last fall. Sandy and talked about going with them but couldn't fit it in our schedule.

What is winter like? Can't be like it is here. dry.gif
porschefile2010
What is winter like? Can't be like it is here. dry.gif
[/quote]
Right now it's Cool, around 12 degrees Celsius, with squally showers. Wind up to 35mph in the squalls. Not very nice. All our weather comes off the Tasman Sea and Southern Ocean so gets a bit rugged but we can also get some good spells too. Coldest around here is about 5 degrees C.
The weather is pretty unpredictable because of all the water around us so makes life sort of interesting.
Imagine how I felt many years ago when I went to LA and they told me they hadn't had decent rain for six years! No wonder 914's are so popular over there. driving.gif
TargaToy
More pics of the car from other angles please. I was telling my boss about Jesu's at work today. Very sweet ride.
rick 918-S
We finished him in time for the wedding. When I get some photos of him covered in bling I'll post them. I may have to take him up the shore this weekend and shoot some new photos if the weather allows.
krazykonrad
Awesome ride! VWs got me into Porsches, so its nice to get back to the roots.

Konrad beerchug.gif
struckn
QUOTE(krazykonrad @ May 16 2012, 04:57 PM) *

Awesome ride! VWs got me into Porsches, so its nice to get back to the roots.

Konrad beerchug.gif

Ditto that. My first car was a Bug, not as nice as Rick's. Mine was an early 60's if I recall, burnt Orange with primer fenders, a rag top sun roof, no gas gauge and flipper turn signals. 36HP ment you had to use first. Loved it.

Nice work Rick take care of Jesu and tell him I said hi.
rick 918-S
In the classifieds boys.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=192620

Click to view attachment
ottox914
I have seen this car in person, and it really is all its said to be. Rick is a straight up guy, any flaws known he will point out. Now that the dash is done, oh boy.

If I had a job and 7500.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(ottox914 @ Aug 18 2012, 09:49 PM) *

I have seen this car in person, and it really is all its said to be. Rick is a straight up guy, any flaws known he will point out. Now that the dash is done, oh boy.

If I had a job and 7500.

I know your still job hunting. If you land something you like my offer to you is still good.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.