Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-4 Steering Column Bearing replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chuckc
pete000 posted a question about 914-6 Steering Column Bearings here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=182165

I have a 75 1.8 that had a lot of play in the steering column when I bought it a year ago . The PO gave me both a new steering wheel bearing and the "quick fix" sleeve/bushing that could be used in lieu of replacing the bearing. I opted to replace the bearing. Also mine didn't have a Pressure Spring or a Split Ring Bushing and I didn't have one so if this is a required item please chime in.

Tools needed:
Upper Steering Shaft Bearing, 914 1.7/1.8/2.0 (1972-76) prt# 911-347-771-02-M100
philips head
28mm socket (for steering wheel retaining nut)
breaker bar
torque wrench
5.5 metric hex wrench
needle nose pliers
3000 grit sand paper
royal purple or wd-40

Parts:
go where you'd like but you'll find 'em here w/ numbers
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca..._SUSstr_pg2.htm

time:
I'm slow and had a piss poor Haynes with only general steering column disassembly instructions and it took me about 4 hours to figure out while documenting. Next time will be 1 hour.

Steps:
1). remove knee pad -- 5 or 6 phillips head screws and washers on bottom. 1 small screw w/ cap on each side facing the doors.

2). remove horn, retaining nut and spring washer , and wheel. In different places I read the retaining nut was 27, 29 and 30mm, but mine was actually 28mm. final torque spec to 34 Ft-Lbs, so I used a breaker bar to loosen mine.
(I made note of where the canceling ring on the back of the wheel lined up to the steering shaft since I was also swapping wheels but keeping the canceling ring.)
Click to view attachment

3). unplug 2 electrical plugs from bottom of column (you could do this as step 2, right after you removed the knee pad)
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

4). remove 5.5 mm hex screw on bottom of steering column
Click to view attachment

5). remove 4 long small screws from horn contact plate and the small circ clip on the end of the shaft. Now you can pull out the wiper and indicator switch assembly enough to let it hang to the side.
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

6). remove circ clip (a b!tc# ) it sits in a groove and can be rotated out w/ needle nose or small ice picks. Then you can remove the steering shaft bearing. The guide bushing on my bearing had rotted causing the play in the shaft.
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment

7). prior to installing the new bearing I wiped free the broken bits of plastic from the old bushing and old grease and went over the shaft quickly w/ some 3000 grit sand paper to smooth it down a bit. The new bearing fits very, very snug so I also applied a small amount of royal purple.

8). I started the bearing with my hands, then gently tapped it with a hammer just enough to get it going then used a deep socket to get it on a bit more. My socket wasn't deep enough to finish the job so I used the old bearing as a shield and tapped away with the hammer. Getting the new bearing all the way in so that the circ clip could seat properly in its' groove took some work. I ended up tapping the bearing with a small punch the last half mm.
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

9). use some needle nose pliers to compress the cric clip and it will snap into its' groove then just reverse the steps to get everything together. When it came time to put the retaining nut back on I had my brother in law torque it to spec while I held the steering wheel straight.

If I missed anything or screwed something up please correct me.
peace,
chuck
wingnut86
Looks dead on.

Good pictures and flow of your process. I admit to being jealous of your process perfection.

Hint: All bearings taste better right out of the freezer

beer3.gif
chuckc
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Apr 24 2012, 07:45 AM) *

Looks dead on.

Good pictures and flow of your process. I admit to being jealous of your process perfection.

Hint: All bearings taste better right out of the freezer

beer3.gif

Hey Thanks wingnut
914-300Hemi
Wingnut how did you remove the old bearing?
Mike Bellis
Nice write up!
TheCabinetmaker
Add one more tool. Snap ring pliers.
chuckc
thanks Mike.

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ May 10 2014, 07:35 PM) *

Add one more tool. Snap ring pliers.

yea, would have been much easier than the needle nose pliers I used. smile.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(914-300Hemi @ May 10 2014, 03:29 PM) *

Yes, please detail the removal of the old bearing. I've done a number of these (prior to the advent of the 928 repair sleeve) and, as I recall, they were incredibly difficult to remove from the housing. Like maybe a couple of hours of grinding and drilling ..........................

The Cap'n
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 18 2014, 12:04 AM) *

Yes, please detail the removal of the old bearing. I've done a number of these (prior to the advent of the 928 repair sleeve) and, as I recall, they were incredibly difficult to remove from the housing. Like maybe a couple of hours of grinding and drilling ..........................

The Cap'n

Good question!
I wonder if (with the shaft out of course) a simple slide hammer with some kind of "T" cross member mounted in an oversized hole (to allow enough flex to attain placement) would pop one out?
D
euro911
agree.gif ... nice write-up.

I need to do this on my '75 ... the steering wheel has a of rotational play dry.gif
billbrip
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 18 2014, 01:39 AM) *

I need to do this on my '75 ... the steering wheel has a of rotational play dry.gif

To get the bearing out I used a puller and hooked it on the lip of the bushing. Since the bushing was tight inside the bearing I pulled the bearing out enough until I could get the puller behind the bearing.
euro911
This is going to happen pretty soon ... my ignition switch recently started to act up intermittently and it's hard to start dry.gif

I believe the steering wheel need to come off to pull the switch anyway, right? confused24.gif

I guess I'm hard on ignition switches ... have the same issue in my Tacoma mad.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(billbrip @ Dec 26 2014, 05:35 AM) *

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 18 2014, 01:39 AM) *

To get the bearing out I used a puller and hooked it on the lip of the bushing. Since the bushing was tight inside the bearing I pulled the bearing out enough until I could get the puller behind the bearing.

I may be a dummy, but I can't visualize this. What bushing? Shaft in or out of the assembly?

The Cap'n
r_towle
I did this once and removing the column from the car was the only way it made sense for me, then pressing it apart and together was still a bitch....
florida 914

The Cap'n

What is the "928 repair sleeve" you mention?
pilothyer
QUOTE(florida 914 @ Jan 14 2015, 11:26 AM) *

The Cap'n

What is the "928 repair sleeve" you mention?

http://www.autohausaz.com/pn/92834773902
euro911
Cross References: W0133-1632518

This Part Fits Your 1975 PORSCHE 914

smile.gif
lennyhope
I have taken mine apart to find that someone has peviously installed a metal repair bush. I cant seem to see a way to remove the old original bush and the repair piece. How do I do that? And why does the hex bolt need to be removed?
jim_hoyland
Glad this got bumped; I'm getting ready to do this ! smile.gif Question: I will replacing the the steering shaft housing too; what will it take to pull it off the shaft ?
Jett
I pulled the steering column, disassembled the shaft and tapped the bearing out. Took an hour to complete.

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 26 2016, 04:31 AM) *

Glad this got bumped; I'm getting ready to do this ! smile.gif Question: I will replacing the the steering shaft housing too; what will it take to pull it off the shaft ?

lennyhope
QUOTE(Jett @ Oct 26 2016, 04:32 PM) *

I pulled the steering column, disassembled the shaft and tapped the bearing out. Took an hour to complete.

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 26 2016, 04:31 AM) *

HOW DO YOU PULL THE COLUMN?...WHAT NEEDS TO BE UNDONE?
euro911
QUOTE(lennyhope @ Oct 26 2016, 12:17 PM) *
IIRC, this is how I did mine:
Remove the steering wheel. Remove the circlip from the shaft
Remove the lower dash pad
Unscrew the steering column support (two Allen screws)
Remove the ignition and stalk wiring plugs from behind the support
Pull the support off of the shaft
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 26 2016, 04:30 PM) *

So it's gonna slide right up and off... smile.gif
euro911
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 26 2016, 04:41 PM) *
Pretty much. I forgot to mention that there's a couple of plastic tubes for the windshield squirter nozzles that need to be disconnected from the stalk too.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 26 2016, 07:14 PM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 26 2016, 04:41 PM) *
Pretty much. I forgot to mention that there's a couple of plastic tubes for the windshield squirter nozzles that need to be disconnected from the stalk too.

Thanks Mark.
jim_hoyland
Got a question: I have two bearings, the larger bearing goes on the top as previously discussed. Where does the smaller bearing fit ? The housing doesn't have a recessed area for the smaller bearing like top top one.
euro911
Lookie here (2) and (6)

Click to view attachment
jim_hoyland
Hmmm.....looks like The Who assembly would have to be pulled to install the smaller Bearing (2) ?
euro911
I only replaced the one closest to the steering wheel. It cleaned up a lot of the free-play smile.gif
Aualexa1
QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 26 2016, 05:30 PM) *

Bringing back an old thread. My wheel has a decent amount of play in all directions. A previous owner has already put the metal repair bushing, but its the actual bearing where the motion is. Trying to clarify how to remove the old bearing. Where it says "pull the support off the shaft" the "support" is the shaft cover tube and the housing. Is that correct? And when you remove those things, the bearing will come off with the shaft cover tube and then you press it out, reinstall the cover tube, and press in the new bearing?

Edit: Figured it out. The support is just the black surround piece on the steering column. Slides off with some force after undoing the Allen bolt underneath.
Aualexa1
Here’s a link to another description of this project. Shows the complete removal of the steering shaft support as well as replacement of the lower bearing.

http://www.performanceforum.com/wesvann/91...ing-column.html
cassmcentee
Couple pics of mine that I just finished...
Hope it helps...
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
wolfswest
Hi,

in the first post is mentioned: Upper Steering Shaft Bearing, 914 1.7/1.8/2.0 (1972-76) prt# 911-347-771-02-M100

=> does this mean that a '69- '71 uses another type of bearing? If so, any details on that part?

It's seems that the early cars use lot's of different parts and not every distributor knows this or documents this, it's frustrating...

THANKS ALOT!
930cabman
Looks straightforward, I have been wiggling my steering wheel for years, maybe there is an easy fix.

Looks like pulling the upper column is the answer

Thanks all
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.