Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Castrol Syntec 20w-50 vs. Mobil 1 15w-50
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisReale
Has anyone used/use Castrol Syntec motor oil in 20w-50? Is it pretty much the same as the Mobil 1 15w-50?
Brad Roberts
I'm having good luck with 0-30 Mobil 1

I think they released this early last year or something..

Finding it may prove to be difficult.

B
meursault
Ay, ay, ay...0w30? Is that a typo or are you dealing with some highly viscous stuff?

I haven't tried synthetic since I sprang oil leaks evrywhere with some 5W50 stuff. I think that was the weight.

I may try again with 15W50 or 20W50, but first I've got to break in a motor I deem worthwhile to put it in.
MarkV
There is an interesting article on oil at PP. Mobil 1 has a higher flash point than most.

Oil tech. article
campbellcj
Some of the new cars, esp turbo motors, are using the 0W synth oil. You can (probably) get the 0W-30 Mobil1 at your local Porsche-Audi dealer. I have a case in the garage.
anthony
I'm switching 10-30 to 15-50 in my VW Jetta this summer. I've run Mobil 1 since the free oil changes from VW stopped but last summer I had an "incident" where the oil pressure buzzer light went off. It scared the shit out of me. This was after sitting in hellish stop and go traffic on a 100 degree day for a good 40 minutes.
ChrisReale
Seems to me that 0w-30 is for cold weather? I have always thought that air cooled engines like a 15-50 or 20 50
ChrisReale
maybe interesting...scroll down a bit

https://dallnd6.dal.mobil.com/GIS/MobilPDS....40?OpenDocument
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.