Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: breather catch tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
Planning on mounting this catch can remotely, does the pressure from the motor blow or suck?

I don't know if the filter on the tank is to keep vapor out of the motor bay or to keep from sucking dirt into the breather lines.

I only need to run lines from each head, the oil fill tower, and then to the tank.
Aaron Cox
ask slits, hes an expert on blowing and sucking rolleyes.gif
michel richard
Are you talking about t 4 or a six ?

Oil tends to blow out of the oil tank, on a six, and I believe that the crankcase on most engines is at a higher pressure than the atmosphere, becasue there is always a little blow-by from the combustion chambers. A leakdown test never yields a figure of zero.

On a six, I think that the pressure goes from the cankcase to the tank and then to the engine intake.

Michel Richard
lapuwali
The breather line coming out of the oil filler tower does both, though it's primarily there to allow blowby gasses out. I'd presume the valve cover vents are there for the same reason, to vent air out coming up from the pushrod tubes.
SLITS
QUOTE(acox914 @ Oct 6 2004, 03:58 PM)
ask slits, hes an expert on blowing and sucking rolleyes.gif

Eat shit dog face
machina
QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 6 2004, 07:23 PM)
QUOTE(acox914 @ Oct 6 2004, 03:58 PM)
ask slits, hes an expert on blowing and sucking  :rolleyes:

Eat shit dog face

uh, thanks guys.

didn't know I was getting personal
SLITS
Don't get excited, it a friendly exchange and I couldn't finish the post - was called away.

the rest of the post was "Now that that is over, Mike and Lapuwali are correct. Between the blowby gasses (postive crankase pressure) and spinning crank, oil is entrained in the air - the filter on the can allows the air to escape while capturing the oil.

On the race cars, we ran the same item on the transmission and rear end.

Now back to Aaron and I bashing each other.
Brad Roberts
DR,

You wont be happy with that setup. Oil escapes OUT of that type of filter then it leaves a fine mist in the engine compartment that dirt will stick too. I semi know where you are headed with this race car... build/buy a large breather box for the trunk and run ALL your lines into it with a K+N setup. This way it only oils the trunk which is easier to clean than the engine compartment.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Oct 6 2004, 03:57 PM)
I only need to run lines from each head, the oil fill tower, and then to the tank.

the main vent on the oil-filler BLOWS, the 2 vents on the heads blow at idle and SUCK at higher RPM ...

wink.gif Andy
SirAndy
here's my setup, got it from CB-Performance for like $50 or something.
the box has a real filter and pressure relief.

as i said, the main filler neck vent has positive pressure, the 2 head-vents suck in at speed ...
SirAndy
nuther ...
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Oct 6 2004, 06:14 PM)
nuther ...

thats basically what im running. mines moungted to a bracket i made, mounts on the back half of engine case, engineered to hold fuel lines too wink.gif
MattR
50 bucks? Ouch! I think I paid 18 for mine (empi). Is there any difference?
machina
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 6 2004, 08:56 PM)
You wont be happy with that setup. Oil escapes OUT of that type of filter then it leaves a fine mist in the engine compartment that dirt will stick too. I semi know where you are headed with this race car... build/buy a large breather box for the trunk and run ALL your lines into it with a K+N setup. This way it only oils the trunk which is easier to clean than the engine compartment.

The back trunk is exactly where I am mounting the tank.

So your reccomending a larger catch tank with a K&N? Isn't that kind of what I got?
SirAndy
QUOTE(MattR @ Oct 6 2004, 06:25 PM)
50 bucks? Ouch! I think I paid 18 for mine (empi). Is there any difference?

ok, i lied, it's "$34.95" from CBP ...

cool.gif Andy
Mark Henry
I don't know why you guys don't like to just run a hose to a carb confused24.gif

I've done it for 20+ years and I've never had an issue with this when done right.

Not to mention no oil mist or oily goo leaking from those cheap boxes.
mudfoot76
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 7 2004, 06:45 AM)
I don't know why you guys don't like to just run a hose to a carb [...]

Not to mention no oil mist or oily goo leaking from those cheap boxes.

This is how mine will be set up once I get it back (just waiting on the bill). I was initially concerned that the vapours would create a mess on the carbs, but my engine builder assures me piping the vents into the carbs is the way to go and there is no need for a 'puke tank'. I'll post pics as soon as I get the car home, hopefully today or tomorrow...
ChrisFoley
David,
If you attach the hose from the oil filler to the bottom of the catch can all the oil will drain back to the engine and you won't have to empty it after every session.
I also suggest putting a piece of fuel cell foam inside the catch can to condense the mist before it hits the breather.
A substantial amount of oil will be thrown up into the can from the heads during cornering. I proved it in July at Lime Rock. sad.gif unsure.gif biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mudfoot76 @ Oct 7 2004, 09:51 AM)
I was initially concerned that the vapours would create a mess on the carbs

I aim it right down the throat of #3, never any mess.
joea9146
Here is mine just a plastic jar got the idea from JP
URY914
I use one of these from Jaz Products.
Neffty little valve on the bottom for draining.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.