Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Getting ready for the FFC
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Events Forum > Past Event Planning Threads
Engman
Well - here is my list of stuff to finish before the FFC04.

Reinstall side marker lights
Set idle speed (running 1300rpm at idle)
Fix front dash cover
Install new door seals
Check CV bolts
Check Tranny Fluid
Decide what parts to take for swap meet
Install 914 Club sticker (duh)

What has everyone else got left?

I know Sean is still working on brakes and sway bars laugh.gif

M
GaroldShaffer
Put the Fuchs back on and wash the car biggrin.gif
ArtechnikA
change oil & filter
change air filter
replace spark plugs
ran a can of BG44 through the fuel system
install the radar detector
install the cellphone antenna and car kit
install the bug deflector
Rain-X the windows
Install 914 Club sticker (duh)
jim912928
I've got a list!

1. all 4 wheels brake rebuild (done, in the bleeding process but damn bleeder screws (new) leak around the caliper.

2. pedal cluster build (since I'm putting in a new clutch cable and have the console and stuff out..better do this to).

3. new clutch cable

4. hook up all the hoses for the fresh air vents in front

5. change oil

6. maybe hook up the heater control boxes and hoses in the back?

7. shift rod bushings (all of them). Found the cup one in the back didn't even exist!

I'm going to be busy!

Jim

p.s. fixed my hard to open trunk..i tied a piece of bailer twine to the latch and shoved it down inside the front bumper pad... when I need to open it i just pull...hint hint on the new front trunk cable stuff!
seanery
ok, here we go....

1. figure out why dustcaps won't fit front rotors
2. hope that replacement hardware shows up so I can install front calipers
3. install front calipers
4. finish building new hard lines (oops-gotta do this before #3)
5. replace pads in rear calipers & set tolerances (hope they clear the 914-6 rotors back there)
6. install hard lines in rear
7. install rear calipers
8. figure out how to get the damn rear sway bar attached to the balls on the shock mounts
9. fit new valence to front of car
10. uh, now it's scary - check inside of case to see if there is any debris
11. if no debris - replace pistons & cylinders with 96s that are in garage
12. get heads back - damn, why so long?
12. install heads & rest of motor stuff
13. put tin on
14. install motor
15. hope tailshifter isn't trashed
16. install tranny (well-with #14)
17. hope all that goes well and the car works
18. finish Engman fuse panel install
19. add J West Fog flash module
20. paint turn signal block off plates
21. install turn signal block off plates
22. install pedal board
23. install new pedals
24. wash the damn car
25. hope it works well
seanery
26. install fuel tank headbang.gif
Engman
Wow Sean. Do we need to add Thursday prior to the FFC as 'Let's all fix Seans car day' ? I remember last year............

Cant help you this weekend as we have company coming in, but might be able to help you later next week. Let me know if there is any help you need.

M
Jeroen
QUOTE(seanery @ Oct 7 2004, 09:26 PM)
26. install fuel tank headbang.gif

Yep, it'll run like crap without it biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
Oh Ya, I've got a list!
jim912928
man...after seeing all this for once I do feel like I'm overwhelmed! Good luck all of you in worse shape them me! lol
dakotaewing
After you guys get everything else dealt with, make sure you take walkie talkies, so when your on the road, you can comunicate from car to car!!!!
-Thom
ArtechnikA
the packing list is a separate list, and yes, the FRS/GMRS radios are on it. along with camera, film, cellphones, AAA card - and we're not even in a teener !
Engman
idea.gif Kinda sounds like the Alien may make a landing at the FFC! mueba.gif Hope all goes well Rick!

M
rick 918-S
I've been asked to help out with claims in Florida. I think I managed to convince management to give me a stay until Nov. 1 by offering to work claims down there for 6 to 9 weeks. Usually 3 weeks is average for a rep.
jim912928
Progress on my list of to do's:

1. pedal cluster all rebuilt (also stripped and repainted it...POR15'd the area around it)...man the original plastic bushings were really worn!

2. pulled out the clutch cable...about 6" back from the clevis pin thingy the cable was frayed and hanging on by about half of it's strands...I'm lucky

3. brakes are all on and rebuilt..but leaking around the bleeder screws (new ones)...I keep cranking down on them and checking

4. installed all the fresh air vent hoses

Tomorrow is another wrench day!
cnavarro
1. Pulled engine and tranny out of the 912 with the father in law today.

2. Tranny goes to Brad monday for a rebuild.

3. Parking brake gets repaired and brakes re-bled. Maybe take tires around the corner to get balanced.

4. Brad comes with tranny and helps me put it in :-)

5. Attend FFC and show off my 912 that Brad put a week of blood, sweat, and tears into!

Sounds like a plan, no?

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance
qa1142
1) change oil
2) once through - Quick once over
3) Pick what tools to pack
4) pack cloths
5) drop kids at nieghbors
6) turn on radar detector mueba.gif
7) top take and drive, drive, drive
8)drink with you all Friday night! beerchug.gif
GTeener
Only one thing on my list:

Mail out 914 GURL hats as soon as they arrive, so FFC gurls can strut in style lol3.gif
jim912928
Anybody want to start a caravan from those of us up north? Pick a route and pick up others on the way?
GaroldShaffer
Funny you mention that Jim, Julie & I were just talking about that during dinner. We can leave anytime after 4pm, we have to wait for MIL to get here to watch Nathan. What time were you planning on leaving?

edit: what route are you planning to take. We are taking 94 to I65 south to Columbus.
jim912928
31 or 65 doesn't matter. Only takes me about 45 minutes to shoot over to 65. I was planning on leaving mid-day though so I could get down there while there was still daylight...but i'm open if we could get a bunch rounded up.
GaroldShaffer
I'm working on it, if anything, I can give ya my mobile number just in case wink.gif

We can't leave before 4pm, my MIL doesn't go off work until 3pm.
seanery
are you guys coming down Friday? missing the get dirty day?

Looks like whitey won't make it unless a miracle happens. sad.gif
GaroldShaffer
Julie & I will be down Friday late afternoon / evening. We won't make it to Dougs sad.gif
ArtechnikA
Friday's our travel day, our plan is to arrive well before dinner tho so we can join up with whatever that turns out to be. lessee - izzat before or after the time change that happens here but not IN ? ...
Doug Leggins
For the 72
-Fix a loose connection on the left rear taillight
-Install the knee pad
-Take the steering wheel off and align it correctly
-Wash the car
-Drive it a bit more to gain confidence that it is ready for a weekend full of driving
-Maybe install the rearview mirror

For the 73
-Pick up hoods from the painter - I picked up the doors a couple of days ago!
-Pick up powder coated parts
-Buy a few more parts for potential Friday projects

AND CLEAN THE GARAGE!!!

Nothin on the doors but signal orange paint. Alot of assembly required.
seanery
Rich,
I believe this is the week before the time change the rest of the country does that we don't.
jim912928
Ok...it's mid-day saturday (missing the ND game but have it on the radio!) and here is my progress:

1. rebuilt pedal cluster is in
2. clutch cable is in
3. started to attempt to replace all the shift rod bushings and CRAP!!! previous owner stripped out both 4mm pins on both sides of the shift rod...now what do I do?

Now I'm getting ready for the final bleed, put the tires on and take it for a spin. I'm going to live for awhile with a sloppy shifter (no bushing at all in the rear).
SpecialK
HIGHLY doubtful that my '74 will be making the trip to the FCC, probably end-up have to take my highly customized Porsche 914 one-off that bears a striking resemblance to a 2001 Jeep Cherokee ohmy.gif One of the BAB's (Big Ass Bolt) that attaches the front suspension to the car (driver's side rear) was/is sheared off (decapitated), and had been for some time looking at the rust on what's left of the bolt. It gives me the "willies" to think that my wife and I were flying around the curvey-ass, tree-lined roads in SE MO in this deathtrap! Someone was definitely looking out for us on that trip! That targa topped chunk of iron-oxide isn't going anywhere until I've gone through it top to bottom.

I feel like such a puss, but I'm actually afraid to pull off the rocker panels, I don't know if my heart can take it.
tommy914
1. fix oil pump leak.... how hard will this be with the engine in?

2. wax car

3. polish wheels

4. rainx
tommy914
8 days to go.
Oil pump re-sealed.... just have to put it all back together...
jim912928
Took mine out for a test drive today. Clutch is smooth (didn't know it should be that easy) and the brakes worked great. But...these friggan brakes are still leaking a small amount of fluid out of the bleeder screws (where they go into the caliper housing). I'm getting very annoyed! (new screws and I threw the old ones away!).
mudfoot76
It looks like my new engine and gearbox are all sorted. All that is left:

1. oil change
2. mount new front spoiler
3. wash & wax
4. pack bags
5. load everything
6. Drive smilie_pokal.gif

If there is talk of a caravan down I-65, please let me know when you would be rolling through Indy and I'll link up driving.gif
GTeener
QUOTE(GTeener @ Oct 8 2004, 03:59 PM)
Only one thing on my list:

Mail out 914 GURL hats as soon as they arrive, so FFC gurls can strut in style lol3.gif

On their way monkeydance.gif

I'm done laugh.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(GTeener @ Oct 12 2004, 01:07 PM)
On their way...

thanks, Gwen !
GTeener
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Oct 12 2004, 01:14 PM)
QUOTE(GTeener @ Oct 12 2004, 01:07 PM)
On their way...

thanks, Gwen !

Wait till it's in your hands wink.gif This hasn't gone as smoothly as I had hoped, but I guess that's reality laugh.gif
tommy914
QUOTE(tommy914 @ Oct 9 2004, 04:48 PM)
1. fix oil pump leak.... how hard will this be with the engine in?

2. wax car

3. polish wheels

4. rainx

Just added replace motor mounts to the list. headbang.gif

Of course thats after I had already re-attached the shroud, engine tin, alternator, MOTOR MOUNTS etc... to fix my oil pump leak. Then I decide to strip the motor mount threads while attaching the cross bar.

Another 1 hour book time.... 5 hour job for me type project.

I hope GPR and DHL get me the parts by Friday.
jim912928
Ok..here is where I'm at:

1. ordered new bleeders for the brakes all around..going to try the speedbleeders that have a sealer coating on the threads..hope that stops the leaking around the bleeders and the calipers.

2. finally poked around to hook up the oil temp sensor..got a little mirror and looked up that little hole and whoa...there is the sensor..and I can see all the way inside it..looks like it's insides were broken off...so Dave at GPR got me a new sensor/gaskets etc. overnight..that goes on tonight

3. might have time to hook up the heater hoses saturday?...

4. going to attempt to get the stripped out shift rod pin out so I can get my new bushings in

Then I'm done and ready!
jim912928
FFC work to be done to make it update!:

1. I now have a working oil temp gauge!...also pulled out the oil strainer and it was clean as a whistle.

2. replaced the oil breather hose and a cracked elbow at the aux air regulator

3. modifed some spring clips for the rear brakes and got those on (i have vented rears with stock rear brakes)

4. replaced the inside adjuster covers with new ones

5. broke the rope I use to open my front trunk (now I'm screwed...ENGMAN!!!! need a really great front trunk cable setup like your rear trunk one!!!!)

6. hopefully I get my trunk open so I can bleed the brakes....AGAIN..just installed speedbleeders!

Tomorrow:

1. hopefully the trunk is open and I can bleed the brakes
2. heater hoses
3. shift bushings if I have time (bought a tool to back out stripped bolts...we'll see!)
tommy914
Loading up!
seanery
woohooo!
drive safely driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.