Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Project threads
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
I think we should have a project thread section like up on top somewhere. Maybe the admins could create that. If someone comes on to the board and wants to see what others have done and how, they could browse through them much easier than doing a search or browsing through all the threads. What do you think???
Trekkor
Yes, good way to follow the progress of our motivated members.

KT
rick 918-S
Yes and no. I agree things move pretty fast here. It would be nice to nail the progress threads. It may require some up keep for the admins though.
nebreitling
another forum might be nice for members' ongoing projects. of course, those members might get more exposure in the tech forum...
Andyrew
Like the WCC forum, we should have a "progress" or "project" forum for the members that so wish do do so... So that the accumulative threads(like mine, rich, Fiid, Mueller, Scott, Gint, Trekkor.. I could go on...) could be accessed very quickly...

Scott, I like that idea!!!!!

Its just like blogs...
www.hotrodders.com has something simular to that.... but its a "journal"... I really like it.

Andrew
McMark
We've played around with blog software. I've investigated and this I could modify some software I found to work with out existing login database without too much trouble. Of course, now that we're on Windows again I can't do much in the way of remote administration. If people want this enough we can do the work.

BlogSoftware
skline
Ok, I am a little behind times I guess, what the hell is Bloging? I have heard it lately but have no clue what it is. Someone please fill me in. Should I start a Poll for the project threads???
Andyrew
Blog=Journal...

visable to all..
bondo
It came from the "word" WebLog... got shortened to blog.
Levi
my new project
machina
QUOTE(skline @ Oct 8 2004, 12:40 AM)
I think we should have a project thread section like up on top somewhere. Maybe the admins could create that.

While back I thought about a separate racing forum, auto-x etc. but the administrators in their wisdom, said no way and they are right.

One thing that makes 914club special is that all our shit is in the same place. That way, we kind of see what everyone is up to and also read and respond to threads that we otherwise might not see.

Anyway, alot of us make out own websites to check out how we waste our time and isolate ourselves from our families.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.... unless you want a 2270 or a V8 smash.gif
rick 918-S
Kinda comes back the Brad's original idea for a club. Or my understanding of it anyway. wink.gif

Picture this:

Everyone standing around the garage shooting the bull, bench racing, telling lies, making up fish stories, bending someones ear about a family tradgity or triumph. chatsmiley.gif chatsmiley.gif chatsmiley.gif chatsmiley.gif All happening in the same room at the same time. That's what makes us more than a 914 club. We can talk about most anything. You don't get flamed for posting a picture of your new dog or asking for suggestions for a baby name. chatsmiley.gif

Then this lends atmosfear (sp):

The most recent upcoming club event posters plastered on the garage walls to remind everyone that big things are happening. (nailed threads) All this happening in the same place after work every day and night. Moving through the crowd of members you come upon one discussion or another you find interesting and can contribute to. Like searching through the list of posts. Sometimes members come to words, sometimes compliments are exchanged. After thinking about nailing the project thread I'm not sure it's the best idea.

Picture this:

Scott has been busy with life and making money. His project stalls for a month or so. On day we check into the forum and he posts "He's back on the project!" I'm reading that one first! It's fresh and interesting and a cause for chat. If his post was in a separate part of the forum I may not check it for weeks. (just me)

I kinda like things the way they are. rolleyes.gif High five anyone?
aircooledboy
Kaboom aktion035.gif agree.gif

High five right chere beerchug.gif

I agree 100%
skline
I agree with Rick 100%, my suggestion was to have a nailed thread like members pictures where people could post a single thread of thier project or even their car. Levi is getting a a non 914 new project and I dont think it should be posted in there as it is not a P car. However, I do like his new project car and would like to see it but it would be more appropriate in the main body of the forum. The project thread would just be for 914 projects. It was only a suggestion that I thought would benefit all members new and old. Making a seperate forum was not in my original thoughts.
Trekkor
QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Oct 8 2004, 04:17 AM)

.... unless you want a 2270 or a V8 smash.gif

Or a SIX... rocking nana.gif

KT
ambergris
Just my 2 cents, but I agree with skline.
The main forum is awesome, and I looooove that I can check in several times a day and get pages of new stuff each time. But we have a section for "classic" threads, and I do use that as a reference a lot. It beats having to run a search on years of posts in the main forum. I think a similar thing for projects sounds equally useful.
SteveSr
agree.gif with skline,sort of,maybe not make a seperate area for progress threads but make it easier to add to them. I know if I start a thread on a certain detail of my project and then don't touch it for a week,in the main forum it gets lost ohmy.gif

SteveSr
Jeroen
I have to agree with Rick
That's the whole reason we don't have (to many) different forums here

Anyone can start a project thread where you can post your progress (and I think everyone should!)
If you "remember" your own thread, post your progress pics there and as soon as you make more progress, your thread is automatically bumped to the top of the page, so everyone can take notice again and browse back to see what you started with (in other words: don't start a new thread to post your progress)

If you have a project thread, put a link to it in your signature (Like Andyrew or Gint)

cheers,

Jeroen
SirAndy
let me, the new leader, jump in here ...

we *WILL* have member sections soon where everyone who applies (and is approved by me, the club bürgermeister) will be able to host their own website under the www.914world.com domain!!!

it will be up to you to create your own progress webpages. however, if you guys like the idea, we could have a page that lists all members homepages, similar to the VIN number listing.
in addition, you could add a link to your homepage in your profile (signature) ...
similar to:
http://www.914world.com/members/jonwatts/

beerchug.gif Andy
Andyrew
OOOOOOHHHHHHH!!!!

"Im lovin it"

Been waitin for this....
airsix
QUOTE(skline @ Oct 7 2004, 09:51 PM)
Ok, I am a little behind times I guess...

Yeah, me too. Why in the world did the site move back to windows? barf.gif Servers shouldn't have monitors, keyboards, mouse, and GUI interfaces. You should be able to administer them from another continent the same way you administer them when you're in the same room. This is a backwards move for a site that has multiple administrators in different locations. Windows is for kids.

-Ben M.

ps - I'm just in a bad mood because I'm doing open-clutch surgery tonight instead of relaxing on the couch. I just came in to use the can and that reminded me of the forum so I stopped in for a second to see if anyone needed a reprimand. chair.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(airsix @ Oct 8 2004, 08:48 PM)
Windows is for kids.

no cookies for you ...

biggrin.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.