Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turbo Diesel 914 !!!! 55mpg :)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller

Sasquatch wrote:
One of the local crazies from Silver Sage Region PCA decided he wanted a 50mpg 914. So, he got some VW 1.9 liter turbo diesel from Japan and stuffed it in his 914. It actually performs better than the 2.0 that was in the car and he is getting 55mpg. He even installed a heater box inside for "real" heat. Kind of sick, in a cool kind of way
bob91403
Pretty cool. No more tune-ups.
Jake Raby
I bet it sounds like shit in the car!! I could just imagine that!

Next thing ya know we'll see a damn Detroit installled into a 914!
wheelo
Kind-of Sick....
In a Sick-Kind-of way....

icon8.gif
DrifterJay
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 7 2004, 10:54 PM)
I bet it sounds like shit in the car!! I could just imagine that!

Next thing ya know we'll see a damn Detroit installled into a 914!

I bet it didnt cost 10,000 grand though... cool_shades.gif
URY914
And smell too.

But the noise of thing a foot behind my head would drive me nuts.

Add this to the list of wacky 914 engine transplants.

Paul
spare time toys
At least Im not the only one who has thought about this. My Jetta isnt that loud and if you run it on Bio. D. the smell is kinda like popcorn instead of an old Mack truck biggrin.gif
URY914
My dad had a D Rabbit back in the '80's.
Cruise control was simple on the highway.
Put a brick on the long pedal and steer. driving.gif

Paul
Tom Perso
I wonder what he did about the gearing, those 1.9's don't like to rev too much.

Tom
spare time toys
QUOTE(Tom Perso @ Oct 8 2004, 08:10 AM)
I wonder what he did about the gearing, those 1.9's don't like to rev too much.

Tom

bet its a Passat or Audi trans.
GTeener
Hey! ohmy.gif That was my idea!

I suggested it a while back on another 914 BBS as a Biofuel 914 alternative.

It got a lot of possitive feedback from the mechanical types out there. Lots of low end torque and it can run on vegetable oil.

Can you say McTeener? biggrin.gif
bondo
Someone needs to do a shaft drive turbine 914 conversion smile.gif The sound of that right behind you would be scary and awesome at the same time ohmy.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(URY914 @ Oct 8 2004, 05:10 AM)
But the noise of thing a foot behind my head would drive me nuts.

can't be any louder than my car. as soon as i step on the gas, it sounds like you're being run over by a freighttrain ...

wacko.gif Andy
914forme
Dang I wanted to be the first to do it!!!!!!

Oh well, got to give him credit for solving a problem. If he keep the stock 901 tranny he would be about 35 mpg, so he has to have an audi/passat tranny in that thing. Or really tall tires, which I did not see unless they are drag slicks wink.gif

Oh when he is ready I can make that thing motor, and start to scare even 914-6s. My stock TDI is dropping 110 HP to the road right now. With over 200 Ft pd of torque, it is a fun ride and still pulls down 42 mpg, with my foot in it like I stole it. And 185Kmiles it is still going strong, and yes Bio smells like popcorn. And the noise can't be any worse than a type -4 with Webbers.

BTW, Jake I have already thought about dumping in a bigger diesel, but I was looking at the 6.6 Liter GM engine, Gale Banks is building two versions currently one for race one for the road. The road engine will put out 900hp and over 1,000 lb-ft of torque!!!!! Just what I need in a 1850lbs 914 biggrin.gif Oh the Banks truck will run in NASA Super Production class. Can't wait to see that one on the track.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.