Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: heat shrinking
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
Can I use a blow dryer or flame maybe to heatshrink the electrical connectors or do I have to buy another new tool? (heat gun)
seanery
I've used all sorts of things:
I had a portable soldering iron that I could take the tip off that worked.
Used a lighter (be careful)

try the hairdryer it'll either work or it won't.
The heat guns are reasonably priced though. It could help you remove
the goop out of your interior if you ever get another car.
736conver
A hair dryer might work but a heat gun only costs about $20. Can be used for many things.
bob91403
Depends on the tubing. If you buy the stiff shiny black stuff from Radio Shack a heat gun works better. If you buy the soft dull stuff from a large electronics store a hairdryer works just fine. The stiff shiny stuff is less vulnerable to abrasion. Depends on where your going to use it. (Will it be rubbing against a metal edge?)
machina
QUOTE(bob91403 @ Oct 8 2004, 11:25 AM)
Depends on where your going to use it. (Will it be rubbing against a metal edge?)

Probably won't be rubbing but I don't want to wait another week ordering stuff so I'm probably just going to Radio Shack.

I had to do about a dozen orders to Summit for AN parts which was driving me mad. At this point I want to get this beast on the track pronto.

Once she is running and all I plan on getting rid of most of the stock wiring (that I haven't already removed) and the stock relay boards and fuse panel. I dont need much.
bob91403
Yeah, Radio shack is handy. But, all you get is their assortment bag of sizes. You end up buying 16 pcs. of tubing and only 4 pcs. 6" long in the size you need. Find an electronics store and you get the size you want, in different colors, 5 FEET LONG, for less money. Your call though. I use the 1" stuff for bundling lots of wires, like in a wiring harness. Much cleaner than using a bunch of tie wraps.
Bleyseng
heat gun works the best but a propane torch works too in a pinch.

Geoff biggrin.gif
BIGKAT_83
Buy the heat gun. I use mine for everything. Money well spent.

smilie_pokal.gif
SirAndy
i always use matches ...

biggrin.gif Andy
Martin Baker
Heat gun=usefull thing. Home Depot.
seanery
I second the electronics store recomendation.

I don't care for the RS stuff.

There's got to be some places nearby, especially in your industry, I'm sure some of your regular vendors have it.
bob91403
agree.gif Yeah, Radio Shack sucks. Heat gun is good for stripping paint. Heat it, scrapes right off with a puty knife. Don't know what else you can do with them.
machina
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Oct 8 2004, 11:50 AM)
Buy the heat gun. I use mine for everything. Money well spent.

OK thanks guys,

Local hardware store has them for $24.

I'm going to be a heat shrinking maniac.
scotty914
heres a tool for all you gadget freaks out there... go find yourself a portasol butane soldering iron. they have a lot of different tips that just screw on like 2 different soldering tips, a small torch, a hot knife, and even a hot air blower that is perfect for single wire heat shrinking. it all fits in one case. all for about 70 bucks, and it fits right in the glove box. i kept mine in the car for a year and it got me home twice. once when mt double relay shorted out and i jumpered the solder track on the relay. a second time when the first repair lossened one of the tabs soldered to the formentioned solder track.

currently there are none on ebay but there have been some here in a completed auction so you all know what they look like: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...4325305645&rd=1

scott thacher
seanery
that's a similar kit to the one I mentioned above.
Don't know where it is now? sad.gif
MartyYeoman
I use this item from Parts Express.
The cartridges are standard cheapo cigarette lighters (refillable)
davidcalvin
If you want it to shrink.. just throw into the pool.

Worked for George on Seinfeld.. all too well.
sj914
Heat Gun. After you shrink it, you can light a cigarette with it and relax. smoke.gif
bperry
My experience is that a Hair Dryer will not work. It simply
doesn't generate enough heat.

Matches can be used but I have a difficult time with the short burn time
and keeping from burning my fingers.
They also tend to toss out alot of carbon.

I've used heat guns before and they work great but many times
especially for repairs in the car, the car may be some distance
from power. Requiring the use of extension cord.

So I now use a fireplace/grill lighter. It is basically a fancy butane
lighter with a really long nose that keeps the flames away from
your hand.
If you first light the flame and quickly move it back and forth
under the shrink tubing just enough to cause the shrink it will work really
well and not put too much carbon on the tubing.
You must be careful not to linger too long or you will melt the tubing
or the coating on the wire.

--- bill
machina
If I cut a piece of heat shrink about 1" long, how much does it shrink length wise? Is it like 20% or a huge change like 1/2?
seanery
most of the shrinking comes from the diameter not length.

I would make a small adjustment (maybe a centimeter total) but it shouldn't be a big deal.
type11969
A cheap lighter is more than sufficient, just don't hold it under one spot for too long.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.