Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTF Front Rotors aren't right
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
So I finally got all my brake stuff together, SS lines on, new hard lines going on, calipers painted and reloaded.

Well, the damn rotor seems to be sitting to far away from the caliper mounter ears. It appears to be an 1/8th of an inch or so off.
I went and measured the old rotor and new rotor using the distance from the flat area where the wheel touches to the edge of the rotor itself.

See diagram.

WTF is going on? These have been drilled for 5 lug, so that complicates the headbang.gif
URY914
There are early and late rotors.

But you knew that right?

Paul
seanery
yup, and I'm guessing I have the wrong ones.

The car is a 72, so that's the cause of the problems I'm sure.
WTF, man I'm never gonna get this thing back together.
Cap'n Krusty
Ya got the wrong rotors. What year's your car?
Early cars take 411 407 075, and 73+ cars take
411 407 075B, identifiable by the centering ring for the wheels, which the early ones don't have. The struts, calipers, and ball joints are different, too. The Cap'n
URY914
Just goes to show a guy with 9400 posts can still make a rookie mistake. rolleyes.gif

Paul
Mueller
yep, what the other guy said smile.gif

I'm sure this upset you, but you should have seen Brads and my face last week when he test fit one of the new billet hubs on an early strut...it didn't work since I designed the hubs for the later style strut......an "oh $hit" was muttered and then about 2 seconds later I remembered what model strut i used...so needless to say, if you want to use the new billet hubs, the newer (with better balljoint mounting) strut will have to be used..........
seanery
I'm afraid I let my vendor order the parts and he's been very good about getting the right stuff.

Cap'n I don't have the original wheels, fuchs repops were on it. The calipers were the ones with two bleed nipples which makes me think it was a later car of the 72 run.

My vendor isn't gonna be happy. The rotors had been slotted and that took a week by itself. My car won't be able to make it to the FFC for sure now. headbang.gif
seanery
can anyone tell from the vin? 4722920091

anyone know when the change was made?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(seanery @ Oct 8 2004, 10:26 AM)
My car won't be able to make it to the FFC for sure now.

you can still ride in the sweep-car Subaru with us :-) ...
seanery
I have an early set of 914 rotors drilled and pressed for 5 lug for sale.

Lemme know if you're interested.

Thanks!
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(seanery @ Oct 8 2004, 10:48 AM)
I have an early set of 914 rotors drilled and pressed for 5 lug for sale. Lemme know if you're interested.

some admin should move this to the Classifieds section :-) ...
seanery
There's never one around when you need one! laugh.gif
tat2dphreak
The factory changed the strut housing, ball joint, caliper and rotor at VIN 4722919032

I went through the same sh*t seanery!! it sucked but I just had to use the 73+ rotors and all was well
Mueller
Sean, has the "hub centric" ring been turned down as well?

if not, the OD will be too big for most factory Porsche wheels
seanery
it doesn't have one, just the mounting ring for the dust cap.
seanery
here it is
Engman
Don't feel bad I did the reverse on the LE car. BTDT - got out what I had in them on evilbay. My dust caps did not fit right either....... wink.gif

M
rick 918-S
Here's a thought....

Q-1) does anyone remember how much you need to machine off the BMW 320 rotor to make them fit on the 914 mount?

Q-2) is machining required for the early or late car?

Maybe you can have some 320 calipers cut to fit faster than you can get the replacement rotors.

Just a thought. I know I could have them done locally with a two day turn-a-round.
seanery
I've got rebuilt front calipers, new pads, freshly bent hardlines, new calipers would cost a lot of $.
Plus I'd rather keep it all 914 if I can.

Thanks for thinking of me, though. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.